Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Friendship!

Hi everybody

I deperately need some inspiration. My friend has an interview next week where she has to teach a yr1 class, the topic being friendship. Our school strongly promts play in yr1, so it would have to be something with a play aspect to it. She has strong competition so it also has to have that wow factor to it.

I really want her to get the job as she has worked really hard with a really tough yr1 class this year ( and she could have just walked away as she was only on supply).

Also if she gets it we will be working together (The dream team), as i'm moving from F2 to y1.

Hope you have a few ideas for us (her)

Cheers chickens!!! :o

Gosh I'm at a blank really as to how you teach friendship directly!!!!!

What about mind mapping what makes a good friend/ who we like to play with (we like to use mind maps as you can see what chn think before you start- would perhaps enable your friend to think on her feet if she realsises what she has planned is too simple/ difficult).

Circle time activities- looking at what we like to do/ play/feel about friendship. Draw a picture of their ideal friend with captions (blah- least favourite), would be better to draw/ paint how friendship makes us feel (safe, warm, happy- group/ class collaboration and annotated with bright colourful writing)

Paint/ draw pictures about what we like in a friend.

Read a story with friendship themes- Handa's Surprise (make what you would take to a friend) could lead into friendship with a global citizenship link (Oxfam resources about play across different cultures would be useful).

Check out the SEAL rresources (DFES?) which have units linking into friends.

Follow up to send my friend to school campaign (currently send my teacher to school) but could adapt the ideas so that children draw about what a freind could do if they came to their school.

Sorry I'm wandering now- hope that this is some help (think a quick mind map/ circle time would be useful to ascertain what chn have done so far into this topic)

Lisa

Sorry forgot to ask how long she has and how much background can you reasonably give her!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

We did a friendship tree with Y1s at the beginnning of the year. The children took photos of friends in groups, and wrote the names of friendship groups on leaves. Obviously some children were on more than on a leaf. The leaves and photos were then stuck onto branches on the wall. The children loved looking at the display. It was when we were talking about how to be a good friend/the sorts of things that good friends do.

A nice book to use is Kim Lewis's 'Friends'...or is it 'Best Friends' ? ...whatever, it's a really child-friendly look at two friends who fall out, become sad and soon get back together again....there are more like this, I know, I just happen to admire Kim Lewis!

Sue

Sorry forgot to ask how long she has and how much background can you reasonably give her!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

55889[/snapback]

her interview isnext week, 17th -18th. She has to do

teaching, interview and a written task, she better get it!!!

Thanks for all your suffuestion so far!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)