Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Display

We have been asked to try and make our displays with more of a teaching focus as opposed to simply displaying childrens work. Does anyone have any suggestions? have currently got key words, counting back from 20 and also lots of annotated photos of chidren carying out activities which I try to encourage parents in to look! Also how often do you change displays?

How about an interactive display? Do you have a topic running currently that you could pin it around? eg. A Cinderella theme we did had an interactive display with photos of the children making a coach out of a huge cardboard box, together with a caption along the lines of 'do you remember what you used to make the coach? then some flaps to lift and see examples of materials. We also posed questions about the mice & coachmen, again using flaps to lift to see if you were right, a smiley or a sad face to indicate right and wrong.

Last term we used a large display area for a kind of weather cum calendar display. In the centre we had a large piece of shiny plastic stuff which the children could write on with a drywipe pen (on a bit of string to be at child height) so they could write the date themselves. At one end of the board was a calendar with clingy numbers and pictures such as a cake so a child who was having a birthday could stick the cake on the appropriate date. The basis for all this was a cheap class calendar pack I bought from Staples. It had great seasons pictures to pop out which I laminated. It had months (colour coded for the seasons eg Dec/Jan/Feb in blue) and there were days of the week which the children then blutacked onto the large piece of plastic where they had written the date. They could then track yesterday was, today is, tomorrow will be. The final bit was a weather wheel, also in the pack, so they could turn the dial to the correct season and bluetack on the most appropriate picture for the days weather. It worked brilliantly.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I try to make the displays interactive where possible, usually themed round recent work. Some ideas I've used is Mr Men Shapes (also good for colours) - which was a reference point during the shape topic; a train ride (using pictures the children took of what they could see from the window, and more recently, a rhymming clock to go with the rhyme "This Old Man"

Hope this is a little helpful - I'm always on the hunt for new ways to make displays work for me.

Nic

post-5967-1148153947_thumb.jpg

how often do you change displays?

55863[/snapback]

I try to change my boards once a half term, but I don't always succeed!

Oh! Sorry, Nicnac31, I just noticed you are new to the forum! Welcome and thank you for your helpful posting :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)