Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Traditional Stories

Hi everyone, trying to get all my planning sorted before xmas so that I can relax over Christmas :D . Next term am tackling the huge topic of "traditional stories", any ideas for activities?

Thanks

Goodness Wendi there is so much you can do with this one-I don't know where to start.

Cooking-porridge for Goldilocks, gingerbread men, bread for the Little red hen.

Have you got the book "The three singing pigs"? that has some lovely song and band activities.

We've had the home corner as the 3 bears house with 3 of everything in it and of varying sizes.

Small world-we made a gingerbread house one year for Hansel and Gretel, fields and a bridge etc. for the 3 billy goats gruff, with a troll made out of plasticine.

Displays-we did Jack and the beanstalk once with Jack at one end of the room and the giant at the other with a beanstalk trailing between. We drew round a small child for Jack and our tallest member of staff for the giant. We did Cinderella, before and after.

If I think of anything else I'll post it for you.

Just let your imagination run wild with this one-you can't go wrong!!

Linda

This is a super topic - lots of role play, hot seating etc. We have had the Home Corner as the Giant's Castle. This story leads to work on growing including beans in jam-jars. We have also had the Pig's Cottage. This story leads to Homes/Materials with junk modelling,construction, work on textures etc etc.

Gail

Hot seating - one child is allocated a character in a story, and the others ask questions. For instance, baby bear - How did you feel when you found your chair was broken? Children really enjoy this. The teacher can also take a character and the children ask questions.

Gail

Thanks for the role play ideas, very useful! Anyone got any ideas for Knowledge and Understanding activities linked to traditional stories, particularly to develop scientific skills and knowledge?

Hello Wendi, Ideas I have done

The Gingerbread man- make a simple receipe card which uses cupfulls or spoonfulls as measures. Encourage the children to measure and mix themselves.Use a timer for the cooking time. Look at the chemical changes of the ingredients.

Hickory Dickory Dock-Talk about and look at different clocks, offer recycled resourses for the children to make a clock.

The little Red Hen-leave slices of bread to go mouldy in a sealed plastic bag, observe changes, make pizzas or bread pudding.

The three billy goats gruff make bridges construction or recycled. Discuss which materials are best and ways of improvement

Jack and the beanstalk-grow broad beans in jam jars with paper towels and put them in different environments i.e. watered and with light, no water, no light, no water and no light etc.

Linda

Actually, just thought, blotting paper is better than kitchen roll as that goes all soggy and floppy when wet. You need to keep the paper upright so that you can slide the bean between the paper and the jar! So any absorbent paper that doesn't go floppy would be fine.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)