Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Possible Trip To Norway

Hi everyone :D

Im not sure if this is an appropriate place to put this, so feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere.

The thing is, I am applying for an opportunity to spend 3 weeks teaching in Norway (as a student) and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the things I could put into the proposal (which states that I should give reasons about why I want to go). I have been looking on the internet to find out about Norway, and while it gives info about the country in general, I cant get a feel for what the education ethos is all about. The thing is, the real reason I want to go is simply to expand my experience, immerse myself in a different teaching culture, and to have a bit of an adventure, but that's not going to fill 500 words :o

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what kind of things I could write I would be most grateful.

Yours

G.

There was a recent comparative study of education in scandanavian countries (look at DFES publications). Its very appropriate for work in FS as it is less formal in its approach.

Good luck. Hope you are successful.

Have you tried the OECD website - they have lots of comparisons and data - there is an Equity in Education Thematic Review plus lots of other information. Sure you will find bits in there for you to look at to give you some background. How exciting.... I am off to Romania in September doing something similar - only for a week though.

Good luck

Nikki

I went to Stavanger in Norway on holiday 6 years ago, it's beautiful, so hope you can go. Stayed on an island in a 'hutte' fishing for our tea. Real Swallows and Amazons for our children.

Believe, but not confident, that they have a kindergarten/outdoor investigative type of education up to 6 years of age. I'm sure you'll find lots of info if you follow the links.

Good luck

Deb

How exciting :D

This link takes you to a site all about norway education system.Norway

Also on the left select social policy and then choose childcare to read about pre-education in Norway.

I spent a few weeks in Sweden in 1998, which I have mentioned a few times in the forum. :o It is fascinating to see how other cultures view "children" and a lot can be learnt about our own values and principles by comparison with other countries. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

peggy

Many thanks everyone. I have submitted my proposal and I will find out on Monday whether I have been chosen to go or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well I was one of the students chosen to go to Norway :D:D so I am leaving on Wednesday. We will be living and working in a kindergarten in Lillesand (near Kristiansand) and I can't wait!!

Well done - how fantastic - best get the washing done and out to buy your phrase book. Dont expect we will see you on here for a few weeks but send us your report when you have finished. Have a great time.

Nikki

Thanks everyone - I'll let you know what I discover - also taking my digital camera so I'll try and attach some photos when I get back - if I can!! - Bit of a technophobe!! But I'll seek some advice from you experts later!!

Dashing around now - just assumed Norway used Euro then discovered they used Kroner and I had to order it - bit of a panic!! Two loads of washing out yesterday, then of course it started to rain xD Also read my flight details more closely and saw that Norway flies out of Terminal 4. I arrive into Terminal 1 first and began to think that I hadnt left myself enough time :(:( Had to change flight!! As you can guess - me and spontaneity/going with the flow dont mix :o I like everything to be organised in plenty of time!!

Anyway, I think I am all sorted now - beginning to breathe again and get excited :D

I'll post back when I get home.

G.