Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Alphabetical Order

hi

i am teaching alphabetical order, does anyone have any inspiring ideas at this late stage of the day!!! :o

I've just discovered this song (to the tune of Bobby Shafto)

a b c d e f g

All the letters came to tea

h i j k l m n

The food was quite delicious

o p q r s t u

v and w they came too

x and y ate all the pie

And z washed up the dishes

It's from Flying Start with Literacy by Ros Bayley and Lyn Broadbent

Barb

The children have made large decorated name cards which we display in alphabetical order.

We did an alphabet job display. Each child had to think of a job beginning with a different letter of the alphabet and draw a picture which we displayed in order.

Also we play the shopping game in circle time....I went to the shop and I bought some apples.......... I went to the shop and i bought some apples and some bananas.......... I went to the shop and I bought some apples, some bananas and some carrots.........etc

helps memory and tests knowledge of alphabetical order.

have you though about using an alphabet line just like you would do with a number line? Playing games like mising them around, taking a letter out and asking whats missing/ where does it go?

AC & Black as part of their literacy teacher resource books (Year R word level) have alpahbet snakes in. We have blown these up, laminated them them and use them as a dry wipe activity. Children write in the missing letters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)