Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Planning

Please help I have a large brain blockage! Prob partly due to how much wine I have consumed this weekend but now i'm trying to be responsible and organised for tomorrow and it's not working....

Currently N and R cover the same topics at the same time which is a bit silly as we always struggle to share the resources and often it can also mean that children have the same topics whilst in N and R. Do people do a 3 yearly topic programme and if so how does it work. Does anyone have an example?? Please help me I cannot get my head around how to do this and I need to have something ready for tomorrow!

Thanks in advance,

Emma

EmmaJane, I work in a FSU where we also have R+N doing the same topics. Like you I expressed concern at the N children doing the same topics again the following year but the FS co-ordinator said it was fine because the N children probably wouldn't remember much about it and even if they did you differentiate it for the more able children anyway...still have some reservations though,don't know what you think.

We have a three year rolling cycle of topics around which we plan. We extended it to three years from two, because we are a daycare setting and many of our children would be repeating far too often, otherwise. If I can lay my hands on it here, at home, I will post it, but we have a topic each half term - this one it's rainforest and jungle, next one is Big and Small. Last term it was Weather, then Growing.

I agree, it seems a bad idea to repeat the following year, especially at the same time and having to compete for resources!! :o

Sue

We are a FSU and opperate on a 2 year year rolling cycle. As you say the nursery children would be repeating the topics if we worked otherwise. Some of the children will have met the topics briefly as we accept children on their third birthday so they may be in the unit for 7 terms. But hopefully they are working on a higher level by the time they revisit.

Long_Term_Planning_Grid.doc

Edited by Marion

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I definitely agree that when the children revisit the topics in Reception we pitch it at a higher level and obviously offer different activities. We are just restricted and have repeated books etc, I just feel that there are so many topics we could cover that we should definitely do at least a two year rolling cycle as you do Marion. Sue, would love it if you could post yours if you can lay your hands on it at some point. If its not today, that's fine, could just do with something to lok at. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)