Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managing Drinking Water

bubblejack

Peggy, do you have adults sit with the childrne to help initiate conversation etc or is it mostly left to the children? This is the biggest argument amongst my staff against the roll in snack. We feel that the children gain so much from sitting down and sharing a snack time together.

Also we have the issue of losing a table to snack... although as I am trying to put more activities at floor level (I have this pet theory about floor play - how many kids play at tables at home???) maybe that's a way to lose a table without actually losing it physically if you see what I mean...

Thinking aloud, just ignore me chaps!

No ignoring to be done!! - You carry on thinking aloud, me dear!!

Go for the snack thing - the children gain so much independence from it! We've done it for ever (it feels like) Sometimes we sit with, sometimes we don't!

Try it, see if it fits :)

Sue

Back to the water dispenser idea - we bought an insulated one from Lidl for £4.99. It has a screw-topped lid and a tap at the front. It's easy to add ice cubes in the top etc. We only need to make sure the water is fresh every day. I'm thinking of getting a second one for outdoors.

We've been phasing out the use of squash this year - due to a strong parental reaction when we tired it. We've just had someone else moan about it. :o

No ignoring to be done!! - You carry on thinking aloud, me dear!!

Go for the snack thing - the children gain so much independence from it! We've done it for ever (it feels like) Sometimes we sit with, sometimes we don't!

Try it, see if it fits  :)

Sue

57183[/snapback]

Like Sue sometimes there is an adult around sometimes nearby working at another activity sometimes not but youd be amazed at the interaction and talk going on without support. Also frees adults up to work at other things than preparing supervising and serving snacks.

we changed to snack bar last year and at first we were sceptical that it wouldnt work with our young children most are 2 year olds, but we were pleasantly surprised with it and we had also underestimated the potential learning that can be observed along side this activity.

we found it helpfull visiting another setting that already had snack bar in place we copied everything they did and then as we developed our own ideas we changed things, we only have 4 children at a time and we find this is plenty snack bar opens from 10-11am and water is available the rest of the time.

we are a sessional group in a church hall we get all the snack stuff out at the start of the session and only go to the kitchen to top up milk we put extra water and squash in the room in larger jugs (out of childrens reach) to top-up the snack bar as needed to save going out of the room.

before we had snack bar we had a water dispencer and found it was too top heavy and the button was easily broken by poking fingers so we used a jug.

With food allergies where ever possible we feel its best to change the menu of food on offer slightly so that all children can snack on the same foods or that two options are available so that the child with the allergy is still eating the same as other children in the group rather than having a special plate with foods exclusivly for that child

Hi Pandemonium, as others have said it is a bit of both, more adult interaction will be required at the onset, until the children become familiar with how it works, then less supervision per say, but plenty of opportunities for relaxed adult interaction. Basically the snack bar is like any other "activity area" ie: Children painting can benefit with adult interaction sometimes, or sometimes not. :o , the same goes for the snack bar.

Only when the children know how to use the snack bar independently you can then plan adult initiated learning, if you want to.

These can be linked to topics, interests etc. ie: Recently a boy talked about dinosaurs only eating vegetation, so I asked, shall we have a Dinosaur menu next week at the snack bar? We agreed to have lettuce, cucumber and cress. So, we planned to make Dinosaur sandwiches ( brown bread with Dinasaur cutters ). We have also linked the food provided to stories, exotic fruits fir Handa's Surprise and the range of foods from hungry caterpillar and of course porridge for the 3 bears.

Good luck.

Peggy

Now you've put it like that... I mean it being the same as any other activity... I guess when people first suggested children could access paint and :( scissors without supervision the reaction would have been :oxD:(

LOL

Well I'm very nearly convinced! I know it is taking far too much of our time to do it in sessions as it is and our Ofsted inspector commented on the fact that the children were not engaged and therefore not getting enough from the time. True unfortunately :wacko:

I feel like I've come in and changed things over the last year and maybe I'll be pushing my luck to change this too! But sometimes I suppose you have to stand up and say 'I'm the supervisor so :( '

You can see why I work with children can't you!!! Never grew up!

We changed to snack bar in stages over a few weeks and that was as much for the staff as the children

at first we set out the snack bar area and called small groups of children to come and sit to have drinks and we poured and served drinks for the children

after about a week or so, once the staff and children accepted that the session routine wasnt going to stop for drinks it was easier to get the children to start self serve - to pour and carry their drinks and snacks to the table

eventually we found that we adjusted the snack bar to suit the needs and ages of the children we couldnt leave the snack bar unsupervised but its easier only having one member of staff busy with drinks than the whole group stopping for drinks spending 5 mins tidying up and doing a little chat time. As for expecting all the children to sit and wait until the drink time was over before going to play I was told off about that by my teacher mentor the first time she visited that it was "bad practise" ooops :o

Apologies if this has been asked already. I read all the posts at the weekend, but am conscious that some have been added since then. I've scanned through them but haven't seen it:

Those of you that use water dispensers - what do you do with regards to having drinking water available in the 0 - 2 room? We have a very small 0 - 2 room (max of 6 children).

Thanks,

Shelley

I would suggest you have a jug of water (changed every so often so as to be 'fresh') and sufficient, labelled drinking vessels as appropriate and remember to offer frequently!!

Sue

Evenin

We have a FS unit with 60 children in F2 and 32 in F1 (am and pm). We have a snack area with a fridge with milk which the children help themselves to, fruit put out for them by the staff and water jugs and cups. Yes they sometimes drink from the same cup as someone else and yes they spill the water over the tablecloths and floor BUT the experiences they gain and the decisions they make are worthwhile. I think some people can take the hygiene issue too far and drinking from the same cup as someone else is not going to kill anyone. :o

We also use the snack bar idea and the children love it! Some sit around and have a good old chat about what they have been doing, who they have been playing with etc, others have a quick drink and go.

We are fortunate in that we have volunteers that come in specifically for meal times (of which snack is included!) so there is always someone sitting with the children. We don't have the added thing of 'It's your turn, I did it yesterday...' because that is the job that our volunteers have been given.

The snack bar is definately a good idea!

:o Just seen this debate about water. We got told we had to provide water. We put out a tray of plastic cups and a jug of water. children put used cups in a bowl. When there are no more cups, someone nips to the kitchen and rinses in hot water. Seems to work ok. Children do occasionally take cups out of the bowl to use or worse, pour water back into the jug. nobody has died yet and they do worse when they are playing. Cupd do occasionally end up in the water tray!! Ah well!

I also like the sound of the snack bar idea, but wonder how this would work with children like ours who often have no breakfast or come to school with crisps for breakfast. I could see some of ours stuffing themselves silly at first and not giving others a look in!

Edited by AMP

• 2 weeks later...
I also like the sound of the snack bar idea, but wonder how this would work with children like ours who often have no breakfast or come to school with crisps for breakfast. I could see some of ours stuffing themselves silly at first and not giving others a look in!

57626[/snapback]

We have a snack bar freely available in our setting (nursery and reception in a school) from about 9.30 onwards. Each child has a labelled milk and is free to help themselves to the fruit and water throughout the morning.

We have one nursery aged child who is in foster care and started with us in February. He would always be at the snack table so we mentioned it to his carer who said it was a comfort thing. We reminded him of the other activities on offer and that he shouldn't have too much and he's not so interested now that the novelty has worn off!

He's still there as soon as we put the snack out, but loses interest as soon as he's had a bit to eat and drink. - there are more interesting things to do! We've found that the children in our setting who don't get a decent breakfast tend to have a couple of pieces of fruit and then move to something else. Occasionally they'll come back for more, but that's rare now.

Hope this helps,

Oopss

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

We have a EY unit of 52. We have 2 snack tables available all session which is manned by an adult whilst nursery are there we have milk and water jugs with choice of snack on the tables ready for nursery. They wash hands and remove name from register number line and help them selves to snack. Then we have 2 bowls of luke warm water, one soapy with cloth one plain water. The chn then wash their cup, rinse their cup and put it on a rack to dry. We adult wash the cups twice a week to ensure they are properly cleaned. We have had no hygiene problems from this. Each child has own cup till washed up and after the novelty of washing their cup is over they go and play. Ofsted loved this independence. The FS2 chn have the snack, milk, water jugs and cups on a trolley and have to collect these before they sit down at the snack table. We encourage the nursery chn to have snack first and will use this as a good time for speaking and listening (95% of the class are EAL), then we stock up for Reception and let them have complete independence. We have a mop near by and the chn clean up their spills and a cloth on each table. We have a few spillages but not many but we have chn with very clean hands - they spend a good 3 minutes washing their cups!!!!!! :-)

Hiya

We have a EY unit of 52. We have 2 snack tables available all session which is manned by an adult whilst nursery are there we have milk and water jugs with choice of snack on the tables ready for nursery. They wash hands and remove name from register number line and help them selves to snack. Then we have 2 bowls of luke warm water, one soapy with cloth one plain water. The chn then wash their cup, rinse their cup and put it on a rack to dry. We adult wash the cups twice a week to ensure they are properly cleaned. We have had no hygiene problems from this. Each child has own cup till washed up and after the novelty of washing their cup is over they go and play. Ofsted loved this independence. The FS2 chn have the snack, milk, water jugs and cups on a trolley and have to collect these before they sit down at the snack table. We encourage the nursery chn to have snack first and will use this as a good time for speaking and listening (95% of the class are EAL), then we stock up for Reception and let them have complete independence. We have a mop near by and the chn clean up their spills and a cloth on each table. We have a few spillages but not many but we have chn with very clean hands - they spend a good 3 minutes washing their cups!!!!!! :-)

What a great example of;

Being Healthy

Enjoying and Achieving

Making a Contribution

Staying safe ( mop up spills)

Organisation

OUTSTANDING :D

(Sorry still in Ofsted Inspection mode) This clear example just shows the total benefits to children and staff. Well Done.

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

we use jugs with lids on them we change the water in the jug at regular intervals throughout the day, each child has their own beaker with their name marked on it and these are dishwashered at the end of each nursery session.

jo

we have a machine that prints washable sticky labels you can add symbols for younger children who cannot yet recognise their name x

its not very innovative its simply called "lable it" i think it was from smiths but id have to check that info for you tomorrow x

We have a snack bar that runs from approximately 9-45 until eleven and the content varies as it follows a 3 week rotational rota linked in with the dinner rota. Beyond this the children have all got their own water bottles/flasks from home in a labelled box which we refill as and when they become empty. They pour their drinks at snack bar only.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)