Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Down

I am feeling so gutted today! A brilliant member of staff has been offered another job......its to be an NVQ asessor on £8K for 20 hours per week AND free after school and holiday care for her two children!!! Well who wouldnt take that offer up? How can we, a sessional pre-school, compete with that!!!!

Dont get me wrong, I am pleased for her, but will miss her loads!!

Really it just emphasises (?) the poor pay and conditions that many childcare workers get!

Sorry to moan!!!

Jenni B x

Oh dear - it's really awful when you think things are going well and suddenly a key member of staff leaves - it's such an upheaval recruitng for someone else and getting to know new people. Hopefully things will turn out for the best and you will find someone equally as amenable - and if you get the right person sometimes it can make a difference in a positive way too - new ideas, thinking. etc so try and look on the bright side if you can

Nikki

Sorry to hear that Jenni - its a pain trying to replace valued members of staff. I've got a similar problem at the moment. We need to take on another member of staff for September. Our chairperson is working towards her nvq2 at the moment and is assessed at our pre-school. She absolutely loves her days with us and would like to give up her part-time office job and work at pre-school but she earns over £10 p.h and we can't pay anywhere near that for an assistant. She is trying to convince 'hubby' of the benefits such as low nursery fees, no worries about school holidays etc. We are hoping that she can work something out because she fits in so well with the team and is wonderful with the children.

Most staff seem to move on because of the poor pay - the money is improving but sooooooooooo slowly.

I know how you feel and really do empathise, she must be very good to be recruited into assing others abilities. As Nichola says, try and think positive and you will find all will work out in the long run.

Good luck to your soon to be x member of staff, they may say 20hrs on paper, but in my experience she will be doing lots more, as in most jobs in this field. :o

Peggy