Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dance

I just wondered what other people did for Reception/ FSU dancing sessions. We had BBC old scheme, Let's move' which when we did it was mostly strory based and very little movement - it felt like we were getting changed for PE to sit in a circle and wiggle our fingers!! I now use Disney music and make up dances or get the children to make them up but it lacks structure at times and obviously there are no detailed plans - I would be intersted to hear of what you use and hope you can share some good ideas for resources/activities. Thanks!

Hi Kermit21.

There was a thread going on a little while ago about Brain Gym activities to get the children moving!

Brain Gym

If it has worked, then you can get to the thread from here!

Edited by Clare

Thanks for the link clare, it is helpful. I would also like ideas for music to use or specific dance programmes that I could ask the school PE/Music co-ordinator for

The Featherstone book has some nice ideas but would not be a complete 'prgressive skills' scheme. Good to dip in and out of with some lovely music. HAve you heard about Val Sabin? I think she does a complete dance scheme although I have not used it

find out more hereVal Sabin

Valerie Sabin

Email sally@valsabin.com

Phone 01604 580 974

Fax 01604 580 974

We use the Val Sabin Action Kids program. It has loads of ideas for warm up, spatial awareness, activities leading to gymnastics, activities leading to dance, using equipment and calming down, and so much more. It comes with a CD or tape and even has some lesson plans. It was quite expensive but worth every penny. We have had it quite a while and not done one half of the things in there.

Linda

We don't have a dance SoW :o Last term we used the BBC Let's Move tape "Folk dances from around the world" which was good fun. We have also done line dances, circle dances and free dance with and without scarves. I use a variety of music from African drumming to pop music! The theme tune from 2001 (I think it's called "Thus spake zarathustra") is a good one for getting the children to work collaboratively on class dance using their imaginations. Catchy TV theme tunes are also good.

When I was in Reception I used to make my own stuff up (started doing my dance teacher's exams so I have a bit of knowledge from that) but I also found the 'Let's go Zudie-O' book good. The book has a CD with some lovely music and some CD-ROM clips to look at too.

Hi guys,

Sticky kids is brilliant, someone on here recommended it to me and I haven't looked back! There is a good website just for search sticky kids music. we use it for music and movement (Bend and stretch and wiggle and jiggle are particularly good cd's)

Hope this helps!

Mottie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)