Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

An Early Christmas Pressie!

Well I had to let people know that today I was successful in getting a job!

I start in January with 20 year 1 children and 10 reception children, including a year 1 boy with severe autism with full time support, so that should very interesting.

I'm so excited and just had to tell everyone, and what a brilliant early Christmas pressie!

Hope you all have a fab holiday!

:D:D:D

Fabulous news Nichola, congratulations :D How lovely to find out at just before Christmas!

Are you going to have a chance to pop in before you officially start?

Yeah, I'm going to pop in on thursday for part of the day to get a bit of an idea of what's going on, but obviously it will be difficult with it being the end of term. Hoping to get the topics I'll be teaching and find out how much planning there is to do, I've been out of it for a whole term, and I've never taught year 1 before!

Thanks for your help and support, I'll no doubt be on here asking for help!

Are there any other people on here with mixed year 1/Rs? I've been told that the year R's are the most able and most mature, and to plan for the majority, but any ideas from fellow 1/R teachers will be most helpful! :)

Congratulations Nichola and good luck in the new job!!! Keep us posted as to how it all goes. Have a great Christmas-I'm sure you will with this good news!! :oxD

Linda

Nichola, just what you need at Christmas time!! I wish you all the best. Just spend the first week getting to know them, dont worry about planning etc.!!!

Chris :o

Nichola, just what you need at Christmas time!! I wish you all the best. Just spend the first week getting to know them, dont worry about planning etc.!!!

Chris :o

I've been told by the reception teacher (who is acting deputy) not to do any written planning for the first week and just get to know the kids! Sounds good to me!

I've been given a load of past plans and policies and 'read and destroy' notes onthe kids, so that should keep me busy for the rest of tonight and all day tomorrow, then that's it until after christmas! Then it's into work mode! :D

Oh and I met the kids today- and they are lovely!

Nope, it wasn't a school I already knew. It was one of the many I applied for through seeing the adverts on the net.

Can't wait to get stuck in, although my topic isn't that thrilling! It's 'environment', but never mind, I'm sure I'll find some interesting things to do!

Has anyone got any good 'getting to know you' activities I can do when I go back? I'm thinking of getting them to do a little booklet called 'All about me' so that they can tell me what they want to about themselves and I'll do one too to share with them. I'm also going to take all their pics with my digi cam, to add to the booklet. Any other great ideas?

Nichola you enthused over mine when I was downhearted but if you look at the bigger picture "environment" is never ending! homes, shops, parks, woods, jungles etc etc. and there are similiarly a wealth of stories if you make the connections, after all the environment is the world we live in isn't it and that could take you anywhere and anyhow!!!

As for "All about Me" that's certainly the route I take.

Check about school policy before using your digicam, its almost certainly alright but we always check with our parents before using/ taking photos- we ask them to sign a disclaimer that they do not mind their child being photographed and say that if they do not respond we will assume they have no objections.

Only objection we ever had was from alittle boy whose photo we needed because of a medical problem and we wanted it displayed so that all staff where aware of who he was. Parents objected that it would draw attention to him. We don't give parents of children that sort of option anymore-tell them we are doing it and why!!

Another parent complained that a younger sibling had had photos taken unnecessarily when there was a quiry as to the nature of an injury. It could be seen as abuse, so do check and take your photogrphic evidence prudently!

Good luck.

Yeah, don't worry, I know about the photo thing, and I'm going to make sure that it's ok when I go back, if not, they can just draw a picture of themselves instead.

As for the activities, they are pretty much set out for me, as I'm not the only teacher for those year groups, but never mind, I'll put my own spin on it!

I'm just feeling positive about everything atm!

Nichola, we have decided to change our environment topic next term. We couldnt face out and about again. So we are going for the 3 little pigs as we feel we can cover sense of place. We are going to send a disposable camera home for children to take a photo of their house and look at building materials. So Humpty will have a wall built again!!

:o Chris