Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seal

Just after an update. Who is using it in their schools and how do you rate it? Also is it being used from FS to Year 6? Thanks

We are not using it yet but will be doing so from sept in foundation through to year 6. I know other schools in our area are using it and seem to rate it quite highly.

I work in a pre school as SENCO and was advised to look at this for one of our looked after children. What a great resource and it was free.

The school I was in on my last teaching practice were using it from foundation to y6. I enjoyed using the materials with the reception children and also found the photo's really useful when discussing feelings with the children. I don't know whether it was just something the school did or something that seal recommends, but at the end of each mini topic there was a whole school assembly where each class shared examples of the work they had been doing around the materials and this was a really nice way of rounding things off.

:)

Elfy

x

We are using it from YR-6 (dont have a nursery) it is great that the whole school are doing it and it really seems to be going well.

The Head kicks it off with an assembly and we had a great assembly together showing what we had done at the end of the series.

I have also found that I can bring loads of other linked PSE stuff in too and link X curricular. We did the 'Going for Goals' and all the kids learned Shayne Wards - That my goal and reach for the stars to sing before and after each assembly and in class!

Do you use it alone as a PSHE curriculum or intergrate it into your scholl's PSHE scheme?

54967[/snapback]

SEAL covers all asspects of PSE not the health part of PSHE.

It is a strategy with the same status as Literacy and Numeracy in the curriculum.

Hi Gwen,

You can find out more about SEALhere and download the materials if you want to.

My school is not using it because we are following a different programme, but it does look good and I know schools who are using it (in Foundation at any rate) and find it really good.

Is the use of SEAL's statuory Marion?

55052[/snapback]

No you dont have to use the SEAL materials as long as you can justify what you do covers the requirements. It is the same as Literacy (same status and has been argued that it should have been the first strategy instead of Literacy) in that you dont have to follow the program as long as you cover it in a way that meets the learning aims.

Hi

Just to add, we are doing the training this term, and at present SEAL does not cover drug education and citzenship - so I have been informed, but as we speak...these elements are being written into the SEAL materials. We will be using it from September. Apparently children with challenging behaviours are responding really well to SEAl. I know of some schools who are using the topics from SEAL across the whole curriculum. As Marion states the new primary strategy will focus on Literacy Numeracy and SEAL, apparently. This is what I have been advised about it. I am doing the training in May!!

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)