Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ppa Time

Just being nosey really and wondered how other teachers spend their PPA time. I seem to spend most of mine planning and making resources but not so much on the assessment bit -I get 'kicked out' of class when I think I could be doing observations for the profile, well told to take the time out of class anyway. I end up trying to remember my observations or write them up after the event when I think I'd be better doing them at the time. Also there is nobody extra to cover my PPA time, I work in a FSU and the nursery teacher and I cover each other but this means my Reception children can't really do the activities I planned properly.

Just being nosey really and wondered how other teachers spend their PPA time. I seem to spend most of mine planning and making resources but not so much on the assessment bit -I get 'kicked out' of class when I think I could be doing observations for the profile, well told to take the time out of class anyway. I end up trying to remember my observations or write them up after the event when I think I'd be better doing them at the time. Also there is nobody extra to cover my PPA time, I work in a FSU and the nursery teacher and I cover each other but this means my Reception children can't really do the activities I planned properly.

54783[/snapback]

Hello ,I 'm a teacher in a FSU also and me and the reception teacher also have to cover for one another (even tho all other staff get 'proper'cover!!!!).I really do feel that you should be doing what you are doing in your PPA time but you should be doing your assessing as you are AND recording it during normal class time. I've been on endless courses that all stress the importance of this............observing (and recording it ) is an invaluable part of early years teaching...............and when OFSTED(sorry) came they also said that.

Thanks for that, I feel less guilty now about observing during 'teaching time' now. I must admit I know observation is the key to providing better learning experiences for the children but I feel guilty for standing back and watching when the head or another memebr of staff walks in the room!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)