Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assessment

Hi folks

I know that September is a long way off and we have a lovely long holiday before then (can't wait already!) but our head has told us today that we need to have a really good baseline assessment in place next year so that we can justify our end of year profile results. We don't have a very good way of assessing when they fist come in so does anyone have any ideas or pointers for us to look at and discuss in our EY meetings?

Please help if you can and sorry again that it is such a long way off but we want to get this sorted out this term.

Thanks

Trudiex

Hi Trudie, In our setting we try to do the baseline testing within the first couple of weeks if possible and we try not to 'teach' them anything that's on the test. That way we get as accurate a starting point as we can. Also at the end of baseline we try to do this as late as possible so that we get as much value-added as we can - Our head likes us to play the ball game!

Sorry Trudie, it's me again! Forgot to ask if you were in a seperate Reception class or a FSU with Nursery. If you're in a nursery, there is a simpler version of baseline testing for nursery called ASPECTS which feeds into the baseline apparently - there's more info on the PIPS website-it costs the same as the baseline disk I think.Hope this helps

We baseline using PSED, CLL and MD (on the FSP) in the first couple of weeks in the same way as you Kermit - trying not to teach anything!!! We use the e profile for this and then update progress at half term. This is good for showing progress to parents after half term. We too are cautious with judgements for value added. We do the same in Nursery - we use the data for both to look at trends, peaks and troughs (greta in the e profile) - very useful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)