Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Yet Again

Help!!

I have been teaching year r for two terms now and although i make sure that i write down everything that we do I just cannot seem to find a weekly planner that i can use that would include all information on. I have looked at lots of the planning sheets that have been posted on this site and have adapted them but would love to know if anyone has a great weekly activities planner.

Thanks

im having the same trouble i have a literacy, numeracy plan plus a plan for lessons i teach such as kuw , ICT, PE etc, and them a plan to show what i have in each each area ie ater tray, samll world. it takes me hours to plan and to be honest i repeat my self so much. i also have the trouble that for cetain lessons i dont know which plan to put it on as it covers lots of areas.

REALLY NEED HELP TO WITH A SIUTABLE PLANNING FORMAT AND HELP WITH ORGANISATION! PLEASE HELP.

Hi

It's very difficult to know what is best I also teach Yr R and I do:

a weekly literacy plan

a weekly numeracy plan

a weekly Areas of Learning Plan (KUW, CD, PD, PSE)

a weekly plan for Classroom areas (Child Initiated)

This is probably too much but we will be in our unit by September so all will change!

Hi! ladylou why do you write down everything that you do???????

Have you been told to do this, it sounds like an impossible job to me, where do you draw the line?

If it helps (and i hope it will cut down on your work load) here are some comments:

1. First, each six areas of our curriculum are meant to be of equal importance, so I don't understand the reason for doing separate numeracy & literacy plans (this sounds suspiciously like the literacy/numeracy hours and that is NOT what we are about in FS) SO don't do them!

2. LEARNING/SKILLS - this is what needs to be written down, not provision or what you will put in the water tray today - it is there for all to see, you are repeating information YES put down what you hope the children will learn/experience.

All we do is a term plan clearly showing the learning to take place in each of the six areas plus the environment, with suggested activities. Then we go straight to daily plans (we do have our continuous provision planning and learnnig displayed in the classroom)

Overplanning can close down the learning - remember we are meant to be responding to the children's own needs and interests (this is the main reason we stopped doing anything 'weekly' and we have never looked back!)

I feel bad because you haven't actually got a plan to look at so here's mine: potential_new_wonder_planning_format__2.doc. I don't expect you will want to use it because my thought processes are notoriously convoluted :o. I also do separate numeracy and literacy plans. Whilst I agree with Bungalow about all areas of the Foundation Stage Curriculum being equally important my rationale for having short inputs (10 minutes maximum) of phonic, text and numeracy work each day is that if I didn't I know that I wouldn't be able to deliver all the ELGs to all of the children, especially as some of them are only part-time all the way up to Easter.

Blast! I've just seen the title of my attachment and realise that it makes me look really arrogant. I gave the title, as a joke, when I re-invented my planning format some time ago. You should see what I call my records for the 'problem' children for whom I'm gathering evidence :o.

Moose the title of your planning format really makes me smile!!!!!

Yes, like you I do the 10 minute thing each day (well try to) but it just goes down on my daily plan.

I think we all plan way TOO much (although I have really tried to cut down in the last year) I have a great Headteacher - this helps too!

I'm with you on this one, Bungalow :D

I do 2 A4 sheets a week for my planing. Each sheet is divided in to the 6 areas of learning. On the first sheet I put the learning intentions (split into knowledge and skills) and on the second I put down a selection of possible activities that could be done to meet the learning intentions. I hi-light this sheet as actiities are completed.

I have an A3 overview sheet as well, which is filled out at the end of each day to show what has been happening in sand/ water/malleable/ ICT/ role play/ small wold play/ maths/ English/ K&U/ PD/ circle time etc. On this I colour code to show adult focus activities and to show outdoor provision.

I do not do separate literacy or numeracy plans, but I keep a daily planning book where I jot down VERY BRIEFLY how I will be structuring the day and details of group work, target children etc.

Our planning format is contiuously being changed at the moment (still looking for something to suit our needs with minimal paperwork)

This is the latest version.

Our activity area is usually written in retrospect. We hilight and initial activities that have had adult input.

Planning.doc

Edited by Marion

Our planning format is contiuously being changed at the moment (still looking for something to suit our needs with minimal paperwork)

This is the latest version.

Our activity area is usually written in retrospect. We hilight and initial activities that have had adult input.

54600[/snapback]

Hello,

I'm actually pretty happy with the all in 1 weekly sheet that I currently use and haven't thought of changing it but I really like the look of your planning sheets Marion! Very simple, clear and straight to the point. Now i need to work out if I can be bothered to change mine!!!!

Thanks for sharing though.

I totally agree with you all and would love to be able to scrap the literacy and numeracy plan, i do not teach an hour lesson for these very simlar to you with short 10 minute i nputs so its a waste having to write it all down on a weekly plan. i totally agree with bungalow that too much planning closes down learning i can see it happening in my class argggggggggg!

my trouble is that i have an unsupportive head who doesnt like change and has no clue about FS and a foundation stage manager who has no experience in FS to help me change it so im stuck and relying on you guys sorry!

can any one offer examples and ways i can change our planning and suggest it too our head, manager so that he relies im still planning enough.

Hello,

I'm actually pretty happy with the all in 1 weekly sheet that I currently use and haven't thought of changing it but I really like the look of your planning sheets Marion! Very simple, clear and straight to the point. Now i need to work out if I can be bothered to change mine!!!!

Thanks for sharing though.

54605[/snapback]

Should add the focused sheet is mainly for students / supply staff

Marion, if your avatar reflects your personality (as you said yesterday) could you tell me where you get your energy from???! :(

(I'm just jealous because I don't have an avatar :oxD )

thank you all, these have been a great help. I am feeling better about my planning. the next challenge is to convince my head and the smt that its ok and the inspectors will accept it - thats a battle for another day!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)