Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Usa Help

As our whole school topic we are looking at USA using a geography/KUW focus for the first half term & then history/KUW focus next half term. I have a reception/year 1 class and I am really struggling for ideas. I can only so far link it with stepping stone "show an awareness of the wide world" for YR. If anyone has any ideas for activities/useful websites for this I would be really grateful.

Food: bagels (not strictly American in origin but popular there), hot dogs, popcorn.

Cheerleading dances.

Crikey - hard isn't it? If you included Native Americans (sorry it that's not the PC term) that would open it out a fair bit. You could then do natural dyes, face painting, make head-dresses, necklaces, drums, dancing, make shelters, parchment painting, make up names for people based on their characteristics, traditional Native American stories, try and make a canoe (very simply) that floats, journey sticks (you go out for a walk and collect things that you find on the way and bind them to a stick. This then acts as a kind of 3D memory map of your journey).

We once had an american independence day themed day - we wore red white and blue, made hamburgers and american flags - need to make sure you do risk assessment though for making burgers

There is some stuff on www.enchantedlearning.com which might be useful as it is an american site. (flags to colour etc)

What about setting a link up with a school? I did that after my study visit to Mississippi last year and it worked well.

We sent a soft toy out with a lot of freebies to school in Aus. last year and a box of goodies etc and they recipicated with Sheila a kookaburra whom we kept a diary for then posted him back with postcards and stuff. I got the link by registering the school on epals.

Good luck

what about looking at spacecraft and the NASA website?

I also have several powerpoints that relate to different countries, they all start off with a map of the world and an arrow indicating England and the country we are focusing on. I then add lots of photos (from google images) that show elements of the culture, environment and people of that particualr place. It's a good way of introducing the topic/country and gets children talking about familiar experiences.

Things to include for and American one might be

map

food (typical): bagels/hot dogs(Macdonalds :o )/popcorn/corndogs/pancakes/turkey

places: Grand canyon/New York/NASA/Disneyland/ (showing diversity across the country)

people: range of people from different ethnic backgrounds

sports: basketball/ice hockey/little league baseball/american football

American firefighters/engines police officers and cars

language: pavement/sidewalk diper/nappy

cultural: thanksgiving/baby showers/halloween/4th July/American flag

It's always good to ahve something ( a photo image) to compare aspects of American life with that of the children's own culture to help them to see the links

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)