Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Old Playground Games And Songs

Next topic is toys, does anyone remember any old fashioned play ground songs and games we could learn that children used to do.....e.g. in the olden days!!!!!! thanks :)

Games we used to play - marbles, skipping, twosie balls, hopscotch, hoopla, french skipping ... oh and those hand games you play with a partner I can't think what they're called!!!!!

Tig, the farmer's in the den, the big ship sailed through the alley-alley-oh, farmer farmer may we cross your golden bridge, British bulldog, what can you do Ponchinella little fellow, see a little sandy girl.

Oh ... memories :o

Harricroft

What about shove ha'penny? More suited to older children I think! If you need the details of the activity, let me know and I will send it to you, rather than post it on here because it will take up quite a bit of space!

Good luck with your hunt!

What time is it Mr Wolf?-one child is the wolf and stands with their back to the rest, with quite a large gap inbetween. The children ask "What time is it Mr Wolf?" and the wolf says 1 o'clock or two o'clock etc up to 10. The children move forward that many steps. When they are fairly close the wolf says "Dinner time" and has to chase them and catch one. They are then the wolf.

May I?-the children stand in a line with one child opposite. The child names one of the children in the line and tells them to take, for example, 3 giant steps. The named child has to say "May I?" and the other one says "Yes you may". If they don't say may I they are out and the first one to reach the caller is the next to call. You could do backward steps, "pins" with one foot right in front of the other, sideways steps, the limit is your imagination.

Linda

Diablo. Cats cradle :D

French skipping was my favourite :D

Why not ask your parents what they remember, they could then help by teaching their children, then the children could try and teach you :o:D

Peggy

Priceless Jackie :o

Cat's cradle had a mini revival a couple of years ago in our playground. As did the folded bits of paper - you know the one - i, 2, 3, 4, choose a colour etc.

I agree with Peggy, get the parents and why not grandparents involved.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

Harricroft

Can anyone remember Dree Dro Dri Drop it, Ive got a picture in my pocket, Ive lost it, Ive found it Dree dro dri drop it, drop it drop it ? Think Ive got the words right! The children sit in a big circle and a child walks round the outside of a circle carrying a beanbag, when the rhyme says drop it the child drops the beanbag behind someone and they then chase the other child to see who can get back to the empty space first! Also in and out the dusky bluebells is a favourite at our school, London's bridge, Ring a ring o roses,etc There's also queenio cokeo whose got the ball that I used to enjoy when I was young - hope this helps!

Never heard of Dree Dro Drip Drop it, but we play exactly the same game to 'I wrote a letter to my friend, and on the way I dropped it, somebody must have picked it up and put it in their pocket.

Another ring game -

Queen queen Caroline,

dipped her hair in turpentine,

Turpentine, made it shine,

queen queen Caroline.

She went to the river to have a swim,

There she met her uncle Jim,

How are you sir, how are yo sir,

Very well thank you, 1 2 3.

Children stand in a circle with arms crossed, holding hands.

1st verse, dip head into circle,

2nd verse, move arms across body as swimming, then turn head to greet person on each side for how are you sir. (instructions clear as mud xD

On a health and safety note - not sure how washing hair in turpentine would go down :o

Harricroft

PS must get some of these ideas going next week.

Ooh yes, I used to LOVE French skipping too - and the clappoing games (we used to do Under the lilac from the Okkitonga??? book

Stuck in the mud

In and out the dusty bluebells

Group skipping with long ropes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)