Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading

Hope someone can help!! I've been told to prepare Reception children for Y1 by introducing guided reading - which I have from Christmas with my Nursery Nurse. However, children are at such different stages on the ORT scheme we use that Im finding it difficult to match texts to a group and also to group the children. I would appreciate any ideas or any feedback as to how you do reaing in your setting Thanks!!From angela

Cant help on this as I am in nursery. Just wondering where you are from as I am also in Lancashire.

Sue

54411[/snapback]

Hi Susie I am from Burnley but work in Padiham - where are you from?

Thats really near where I Live Susie!!Do you teach at the Nursery in that area - I only ask because we once visited the nursery there for ICT and there was a lady called Sue who showed us allsorts of good stuff! Its good to know we're amongst friends on here isnt it - I think Im becoming addicted to this site though!! I'm so nosey!

Hope someone can help!! I've been told to prepare Reception children for Y1 by introducing guided reading - which I have from Christmas with my Nursery Nurse. However, children are at such different stages on the ORT scheme we use that Im finding it difficult to match texts to a group and also to group the children. I would appreciate any ideas or any feedback as to how you do reaing in your setting Thanks!!From angela

54342[/snapback]

Hi Angela - I'm constantly changing my mind about the best ways to introduce reading in reception (leave it 'til Year 1 being one idea!!), but this is what we do at the moment for what

it's worth...

I do guided reading with groups of 5/6 children as soon as I think they can cope with it - starting with ORT wordless books for storytelling. For those children well-established on ORT I have been using some of new Collins Big Cat and ORT Snapdragons. The children really like them. We had a demo from our Literacy advisor last year and basically she advised using lots of props to engage the children and things like laminated words to match with book/make into sentences or letters for making cvc's. I also send home an activity based on the book (though not all do it) eg word bingo. It's meant a lot of work putting together resources but I suppose will be worth it in future years. Must admit I wasn't all that keen on guided reading at first but I'm now getting to see it as a far better use of time and thinking of cutting right back on individual reading next year in favour of more guided reading. Would be interested to hear what you think and how much individual reading you do.

Another Sue- sadly not from Lancashire!

Thanks for the reply Sue, it sounds like we are working on the right lines as we do similar things to you. Like you say, I think there might need to be less individual reading and more group reading in future to make it manageable from angela

Thats me I used to be a leading ICT teacher. I'm at Rosegrove nursery. Where are you?

Sue

54441[/snapback]

I'm at St. Johns Padiham - its a small world isnt it? The meeting was about 3 years ago I think but we were so impressed that you had an interactive whiteboard in Nursery that we pestered our head - we now have them in allour classrooms including the foundation Unit !!! We just need decent PCs now in the unit as we only have one that works and over 50 children when Nursery and Reception are together. I'm ICT co-ordinator at the school so maybe we can help each other on ICT stuff too!!

I was recently on moderation course for FSP at Heritage centre Barrowford and we did attend a cluster meeting at St Mary's on Outdoor play in Winter- there were lots of teachers on that one with an advisory teacher leading it (can't remember her name but she was pregnant) - the next cluster is at our FSU in May I think on Music

I was recently on moderation course for FSP at  Heritage centre Barrowford and we did attend a cluster meeting at St Mary's on Outdoor play in Winter- there were lots of teachers on that one with an advisory teacher leading it (can't remember her name but she was pregnant) - the next cluster is at our FSU in May I think on Music

54465[/snapback]

Yes I was at the cluster meeting. The music teacher is really good. I'll be at the next one. We'll have to wear red carnations lol and introduce ourselves. The course I mentioned was on planning (not assessment) in the foundation stage. It was a few years ago now and it was at Pendle as well. I was sitting with someone from St Johns in Padiham who worked in reception. Did you come to the cluster meeting at Rosegrove Nursery? As I was the one leading it.

Sue

My memory is terrible Sue, I can't remember if I did attend the courses/meetings you mentioned. I have been in Reception for most of the time but did spend a year in Year 1.

Yes I'll be there - I think I vaguely remember what you look like actually so I'll introduce myself hopefully to the right person!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)