Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Being Paid For Training

I am just interested to know what other sessional pre-schools do when their staff go on a training course. Do you pay them for their time? milage? Do you pay for planning meetings? Cupboard tidying etc?

At present, we are not paid for attending short courses or for planning meetings ect. As a Deputy I am also not paid for the paperwork I do at home. The other staff members have now requested that there is some sort of renumeration for going on courses etc .

(There is a pay scale on completion of Level 2 and 3 courses).

What do you do?

Thank you

Jenni x

Hi Jenni,

We usually pay them for attending during working hours, but if in the evening/weekends i.e. for First Aid, we don't.

Certainly have never been paid for mileage.

I think that if the money is there, then they should all get paid for everything they do, but money isn't! Nobody gets paid for planning/staff meetings.

We have it written in contracts that staff should volunteer for at least 3 'Clear out days' a year.

I am very lucky that most of my staff have never 'expected' to be paid for training and for tidying up, they have just done it to show commitment to the group.

I get a bit peeved sometimes because there isn't much give and take with some staff. You get the same ones that help with everything (with a smile) and those that won't give you a few minutes 'out of hours' without moaning! They forget about all the little 5 mins that they were late or had appointments!

All key workers get £5.00 per week for paperwork done at home (which by no means is enough - just a token gesture really!) :D .

Hi Jenni

I work as Deputy in a pre-school but only work part-time.

If I am out of the setting attending a course I get paid my normal wages for that day but if a course falls on a day I don't work I give my time and do not expect to be paid.

It works well in our setting and I think it is fair. I feel the training is a two way thing in that it's personal to the person doing the course but also benefits the setting as they share knowledge with colleagues and of course the children benefit. I am the designated Senco for our setting and have done the modular training. It just so happened that the courses fell on days I don't work so I didn't get paid but if I chose to leave it is something I would 'take with me'.

It never entered my head to think about mileage for attendance!

Perhaps I am fortunate to be part of team where noone expects to be paid for tidying up but happily give their time.

We do have a great manager who is appreciative of all we do and we never feel taken for granted. The end of every term sees all staff on a great night out all expenses paid :D

Swings and roundabouts I suppose but it works for us.

Hi Jenni,

I'm also deputy in a pre-school. We are very fortunate that the courses we attend are run by the local council and they pay supply cover for the training so neither us or pre-school are out of pocket. Pre-school also pays for training from other agencies e.g. first aid. We also get paid to attend staff meetings and for 15 mins either side of the session to set up etc. Most of the staff arrive earlier and leave later then they are paid but it is give and take and we get a fair deal so no complaints. Our only complaint is that we have to do the same amount of paperwork as teachers, working on the same curriculum but get paid 1/4 of their earnings. (No offence to teachers - that's a dig at the government :o )

I pay for courses such as 1st aid and I pay my depty to attend Senco meetings. Two of my staff recently did NVQ's but I didn't pay them for attending the teaching sessions-mainly because they used a lot of pre-school time to do the practical stuff.

We are lucky in that a lot of our courses are paid for by our local Surestart.

As for meetings-I pay my staff for all meetings they attend, training days that I put on, planning sessions etc. I have one member of staff who often stays and helps me to put up displays or just generally have a good tidy up. She doesn't expect me to pay but I do-she is the only one who does it.

Linda

All the staff at my setting (inlcuding me) have tp pay for their own training. That sounds a bit harsh but staff were specifically asking to attend courses and not bothering to turn up. These courses used to be paid for by the pre-school but our budget doesn't run to paying for courses that nobody attends. However, the deal is that staff pay the initial cost of the training course, then they are reimbursed providing they remain with us for three months after the training course. The majority of the staff are happy with this arrangement. I have never heard of settings paying for mileage, although in some instances I think it would be a good idea e.g. food shopping for the setting or taking children/staff between settings.

At the moment, we do not get paid/receive time owing for attending meetings at work, but I am working on it! I think a small contribution to staff for giving their time would not be unwelcome! We have a few staff members who do not like to stay behind and give up their time, even though it states in their contracts that they have to attend meetings etc, so I think this would be an incentive for those.

For tidying up the cupboard, a job which everyone hates, staff are paid for their time, but are still reluctant to do it. At the moment, the cupboard is quite dangerous, with equipment piled here, there and everywhere. There should be quite a nice bit of overtime for the lucky ones that stay and help!

All the staff at my setting (inlcuding me) have tp pay for their own training. That sounds a bit harsh but staff were specifically asking to attend courses and not bothering to turn up. These courses used to be paid for by the pre-school but our budget doesn't run to paying for courses that nobody attends. However, the deal is that staff pay the initial cost of the training course, then they are reimbursed providing they remain with us for three months after the training course. The majority of the staff are happy with this arrangement. I have never heard of settings paying for mileage, although in some instances I think it would be a good idea e.g. food shopping for the setting or taking children/staff between settings.

At the moment, we do not get paid/receive time owing for attending meetings at work, but I am working on it! I think a small contribution to staff for giving their time would not be unwelcome! We have a few staff members who do not like to stay behind and give up their time, even though it states in their contracts that they have to attend meetings etc, so I think this would be an incentive for those.

For tidying up the cupboard, a job which everyone hates, staff are paid for their time, but are still reluctant to do it. At the moment, the cupboard is quite dangerous, with equipment piled here, there and everywhere. There should be quite a nice bit of overtime for the lucky ones that stay and help!

54309[/snapback]

Your cupboard reminds me of mine. But when do you find time to tidy it, I work from 8.10 till 4pm everyday,Manager included in the ratios! then paperwork at home later and at weekends, committee wont pay extra for staff to do it so i guess its in my time, when i'm going to fit it in i don't know, obviously a job for the next half term!!!

At my setting we are only paid for the session times 9.30-12.30, of course we all arrive at 9 am and don't leave somedays until 13.30! (We have to set-up, go over plans and do all the pre-session duties). We plan and evaluate in our own time, it is a small nursery and training for myself has not been paid for in the past (although promised). We all feel this is injust and we do over and above the hours we are paid for - I am paid £7 an hour (I am classed as Deputy) methinks someone is going to tell me that is not a good rate either, I hasten to add I love my job and am still studying (foundation Degree in Sept - hopefully) but sometimes do feel a little undervalued, as does my supervisor.

I was under the impression that the Employment law states that if an employer requires an employee to attend training then the time spent at that training is classed as "work hours" and therefore comes under the directive of at least the minimum wage. not sure about milage costs though.

I pay my staff an hour for staff meetings ( even though they can last longer - but it helps keep focus on the agenda :o )

I plan "admin time" within the session, so staff are paid for admin and I also pay for staff to cover at these times.

Staff are expected to keep equipment and storage safe and tidy, this is already paid for within their salary. If they need to come in extra hours then that is because they haven't done their job during normal work hours, so is unpaid, this may sound a bit harsh but 1/ storage safety should be maintained at all times. 2/ as the employer I cannot afford to pay twice for a task to get done!!

Qualifacation courses staff pays the cost of the course, I re-imburse after they stay with the setting for certain timescales. attendence of the course is not paid. Local EYAT courses are subsidised for staff cover costs.

1st aid and child protection and senco, I pay staff attendence hours, it is mandatory requirement that I have staff qualified in these areas. (National Standards)

What I would suggest is that you ask for Staff training to be discussed at your next staff ( private setting) or committee meeting, ask that you are all involved in writing up a staff training policy. This will help the employees understand what the employer has to consider ie: costs, staff retention, legal requirements and also the employees can discuss their grievances re: out of hours work. I think training policy and requirements of the job to do childrens files/planning etc are two seperate issues and should be discussed as such.

Peggy

Thank you so much for all your replies, it really is interesting to know what other settings do. Most of us give our time for free on those extra duties but some always have an excuse as to why they cant attend planning meetings/cupboard tidies etc and thats what gets annoying. Having said that, goodwill only goes so far, and staff need to be appreciated.

At our committee meeting on Wednesday, the committe members (most of whom work for large organisations) were completely unaware that we werent paid for these things. They all said 'I wouldnt work under those conditions'. And of course they are right, no other business would expect their staff to do 'overtime' and not get paid! BUT we are a charity and funds are tight, so what to do is still a mystery as we need to strike a balance with both the staff and the bank balance!??

Thank you again for your help, I will put forward what all of you have said at our next committee meeting and hopefully come up with a solution!

Jenni x

• 1 month later...

Sorry its me again. I was just wondering if anyone would mind sharing how and where they state what staff do and do not get paid for as far as training is concerned. I cant find a training policy so assume this information goes into the staff contracts? (on my current contract there is no mention whatsoever of being paid for training/planning meetings etc). We have got our committee meeting next week (to try and resolve this previously mentioned thread) and although ive already noted down all your responses to this (thank you), I thought it may be handy to have a policy of some sort to show them?

Thank you

Jenni B x

The staff in the setting I have just joined, get paid for training that is within working hours. If they do it outside of work hours, they get time off in lieu.

Why is it then that the majority of staff have absolutely no desire to attend any training?!

Most nursery staff snap up the chance to go on courses??

We get paid for courses in working hours, but not if they fall outside of working hours or a saturday/sunday.

we also get mileage allowance for travelling to/from venues (only if its further than you would travel to work normally...) so next week for me im on a course in tarporly (wherever that is LOL (me thinks ill get lost) it means i will travel 25 miles each way, when normally to get to work i go 1 and a half miles... so my nursery will reinburse me 25 miles (each way minus 1 and a half miles (my normal travel to work)... i think having the mileage paid is only fair, i don't earn the greatest wage and if mileage wasn't paid id struggle to pay for petrol to get to the course.

also when we have staff meetings we get time back, although struggle to actually take it due to numbers/staffing levels.... hey hum! no nursery is perfect i guess and i know its kind of part of my role to bring some work home (ie i do planning at home, cos there isn't enough time in the day!)

anyway slight tangent lol

Dawn