Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

Can anyone help me, on C7 K12.

Please explain what the 1989 children's act states in regard to the physical punishment of children.

I seem to have read the legal jargon from top to bottom, know what I think it should say, but can't find the actual words to quote / explain! :o

Hi Doodidane

Page 28 Section 6.22 states:

'Corporal punishment (smacking, slapping or shaking) is illegal in maintained schools and should not be used by any other parties within the scope of this guidance. It is permissable to take necessary physical action in an emergency to prevent injury either to the child, other children or an adult or serious damage to property.'

Is that any help??

Hi Doodidane

Page 28 Section 6.22 states:

'Corporal punishment (smacking, slapping or shaking) is illegal in maintained schools and should not be used by any other parties within the scope of this guidance. It is permissable to take necessary physical action in an emergency to prevent injury either to the child, other children or an adult or serious damage to property.'

Is that any help??

54193[/snapback]

Thanks Geraldine, I was beginning to think I could never find it!

I also mentioned EPOCH (End of Physical Punishment of Children) set up in 1989, it has sixty organisations linked to its campaign, inc NSPCC, National Childrens Bureau and Save the Children - all the major charities support the work of EPOCH, don't know if that is of any help, might get extra Brownie points.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)