Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Podcast episode - Reading for Pleasure

Jules

In this podcast episode we chatted with teacher and literacy lead Kiran Satti about a whole school approach to reading for pleasure, the importance of educators reading aloud to children, social reading environments, and the role of fluency.

To find out more about the work Kiran and her team are doing, check out this booklet

One of the things Kiran talks about is the importance of educators reading aloud to children every day. 

Is this something that you do in your school? How do/could you incorporate it into your learning day? 

It was my very favourite part of the day when I taught, both in school and in my nursery. The children always loved it, as did I when I was at school. There's nothing better than getting lost in a story read by your teacher. In nursery, I found it always worked best after the morning tidy up, but before snacktime. Children had had a great time leading their own play, with one or two adult-led activities on the go if they were interested, and were really ready for a sit down and a good book!

When I taught in school, that end of the day slot was great- I've not been in school for quite some time now, so not sure if that's still popular?