Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pshe

Does anyone else struggle with evidence for PSHE? For example how do we know if children have developing respect for other cultures - In our setting we acknowledge Eid, Chinese New Year etc but how can we say if the children really do have a developing respect? Also the one about them being aware of their own identity/culture is a hard one I think as I work in a catholic school with no other cultures other than their own

I work in a village school and our children really dont have contact with other cultures outside of school. One of the ways we have addressed this is by inviting other faith groups into school to work with the children.

We have had a wondeful Hindu lady called Kirtida who tells stories brings costumes for the children to dress up and does craft and cookery with the children. Next term we have an Africa drum workshop visiting. We do an annual fund raising day for SEND A COW and this helps the children to think of the lives of children in other countries. We also do the Barnardo's toddle each year.

I agree it is very difficult to assess PSE. Mainly we assess this area by the children's response, things they say (quite often weeks after ) Think its a mixture of informal observations (best results are picked up listening to the children talking among themselves) and more formal 'questions'

We have had many discussions about this at our moderation meetings and our LEA have said that if children have experienced activites of experiences with interest and can maybe tell you something about it, no matter how small, then you can say t has been acheived.

I think sometimes people define the term "different Culture" as different nationalities, ethnic origins, yet if we think about the "social circle" of our young children , yes, they may meet up with people from a variety of nationalities/ethnic origins, but the main "difference in culture" they experience, on a daily basis, is the various cultural practices of their neighbours, or even their families. How the "Jones" live at No 22 may differ considerably from the "Smiths" at No 23. Helping them compare, value and respect their family life compared to others they know enables this awareness. From this learning which is "relevant" we can extend to abstract concepts outside their immediatte experiences.

So, I agree with lola and ASPK, their everyday observations of life, social interaction, habits, customs, is their developing awareness.

We all do many activities addressing home life issues focused on PSE and get different responses from individual children, these are your evidence.

Peggy

I think sometimes people define the term  "different Culture"  as different nationalities, ethnic origins, yet if we think about the "social circle" of our young children , yes, they may meet up with people from a variety of nationalities/ethnic origins, but the main "difference in culture" they experience, on a daily basis, is the various cultural practices of their neighbours, or even their families. How the "Jones" live at No 22 may differ considerably from the "Smiths" at No 23. Helping them compare, value and respect their family life compared to others they know enables this awareness. From this learning which is "relevant" we can extend to abstract concepts outside their immediatte experiences.

So, I agree with lola and ASPK, their everyday observations of life, social interaction, habits, customs, is their developing awareness.

We all do many activities addressing home life issues focused on PSE and get different responses from individual children, these are your evidence.

Peggy

54249[/snapback]

Thanks everyone, I feel much better reading your replies - you begin to doubt yourself sometimes don't you? We've heard that PSHE and K+U of W will be moderated next year in our area so not sure what they will expecet to see

PSE was moderated in our area 2 years ago and as everyone has said it was more a matter of showing that the children had been provided with the experiences and were 'engaged' and 'interested' and are beginning to understand that not everyone's life is the same as their own.

To be honest the statement I have problems with is 'Understands what is right, what is wrong, and why.'

Yes Marion, I agree this is ANOTHER tricky one. There are always children who know it's wrong to kick another child, and can tell you that it's wrong because it makes the child sad, hurt and cry ... but then continue to act without any regard to this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)