Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition From Yr To Y1

After considering the document: Continuing the Learning Journey and starting a transition policy, I would like to know whether you address parents about transition issues in the Summer term, e.g. parent meetings, letters

I would be grateful for advice on this.

Thanks

Hers is the document Continuing the Learning Journey:

Continuing_the_Learning_Journey.pdf

We are having a meeting for the parents early next term. The head is freeing up Mel and I to support the Y1 teacher. We plan to send out a letter with infomation and asking for parents to raise any concerns so we can address them at the meeting.

After considering the document: Continuing the Learning Journey and starting a transition policy, I would like to know whether you address parents about transition issues in the Summer term, e.g. parent meetings, letters

Thanks

54158[/snapback]

Thanks Beckyann for the document you attached, Ive been after it for ages - its only just been found in our school and I haven't read it yet. Tried to get one but it was out of print so I'll find this really useful

As part of my research into the transition at my school we sent a questionnaire to our year 1 parents, we found that the children were fairly well prepared but the parents found it more difficult. They wanted to knopw practical issues, where to hang coats, lunchboxes where to line up etc.They didn't know what was expected and therefore they felt they couldn't prepare their child. We introduced an open afternoon where the children and their parents could visit the year 1 class and meet the teacher. The year 1 teacher sent her newsletter at the end of the summer term which had details of the general organisation, timetable, changing reading books and topics etc ( this had previously been sent in september) this was well recieved by the parents and transition was greatly improved by two very easy to arrange activities.

We are a small village school with one class per year group so the children know who their teacher is going to be and we do various activities throughout the year together.

I would definatly suggest a newsletter or an informal meeting to reassure parents who then in turn can reassure any child who has worries over the long summer break.

Sharon

Thanks

54158[/snapback]

Becky there is training sessions planned for next term its a matter of watching the Extranet for dates.

Just to add different teachers from different schools locally seem to be unsure about records to send to Year 1 teacher, and books, etc. We never finish literacy/maths books so surely it would make sense to continue using them in Year 1.

I usually send up reading recordsand completed individual Flying Start sheets. KS1 dont want any books from me either so they usually take up storage space for a year when they are given to the children to take home. Like you say what a waste!

Just to add different teachers from different schools locally seem to be unsure about records to send to Year 1 teacher, and books, etc.  We never finish literacy/maths books so surely it would make sense to continue using them in Year 1.

54199[/snapback]

Yes, we send up literacy books, but we don't use maths books (loose leaf folders instead). We also send up reading and phonic records. Oh, and a copy of the FSP for each child too :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)