Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Letter For Parents

Does anyone produce a half termly topic letter for parents informing them about what you will cover in each area of learning? Just something else to add to the workload. :o

If anyone does do this I would be really grateful to see an example. Many thanks.

Hi there,

We send a weekly diary home (DN), which each half term includes a topic sheet saying what the next topic is and how we intend to develop this within each area of learning - will have to get master from work, but will try to post ASAP! Please remind me, I am getting very forgetful :o

Sue

In our preschool we put a poster up on our welcome desk breaking down the half term, what topics will be done each week and what key learning goals will be focused on each week its very breif but parents who want to know more will ask us which gives us a good chance to chat to parents informally about their children

we are considering a half termly information sheet, my daughters primary school did one and I found it interesting to know what she was doing in school the school.

We just send a short note telling parents the topic for next term is..................... you can help your child by...................... and ask for any resources we would appreciate (eg last term we asked for baby photographs of parents and grandparents)

I do a weekly overview sheet which I put up in my window. I blow it up to A3. It doesn't take long to do as I just summarise the main things from my planning. Here's my one for this coming week which, spookily, I had just finished typing before I logged on here! week_2.doc

Moose you get up too early!!! xD

Interesting to see you do a weekly overview for the parents. We just do a very basic half term overview where we list the main things we are covering in each area of the curriculum. On the back we put important dates e.g. class asembly, photographer etc and "Ways to help your child at hoome", which includes reading together on a daily basis!

My weekly plans are displayed on the classroom wall so any parent who wants to see them can go and look - but nobody does :o

I also do a weekly note to parents summarising what we will be doing in the forthcoming week. It consists of a third of an A4 piece of paper (so not too much photocopying) which each child takes home. It has a brief summary of our theme and activities for the week including ideas for parents to talk about with their child and suggestions for things to bring in linked to the topic. It also shows the Jolly Phonics sounds that we are learning that week and the corresponding actions (I photocopy the action pictures from the handbook and reduce them in size to fit the note). I also manage to squeeze in any Nursery news or reminders, or things happening in the rest of the school. I try and make the notes visual so I add clipart or my own little sketches.

I've been doing these notes for a year now and they have gone down really well with the parents - if the child's away, the parent often comes in to ask for it. And from what the children bring in from home or talk about, it is obvious that the parents are using the information from the notes, so it means that there is definitely more talk at home about what we are doing at Nursery.

The notes don't take me long to do. I have a basic template that I adapt each week, and I do them alongside my planning while the ideas are fresh in my mind. I truly believe that our children benefit from staff and parents working in partnership and this is one way of communicating this.

I do a topic web along the lines of that which bluecocker has posted. I also do a termly newsletter with the odd pic about the term before and forthcoming events etc. Also post in window the focus for the week, sounds etc.. so that parents can support their children at home.

Thanks very much for sharing your ideas and topic planners. I like the idea of the giving the parents activities they can do to support their children at home. :)

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)