Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice

My personal opinion is you are doing too much 'planning.' Also my understanding of child initiated is that it should be just that - driven by the children.

We have tried very hard to make a really accessible interesting stimulating learning environment (which we do change, add things too, move things around etc) and then we let the children get on with it - we often ask them what they would like etc. Sensitive interaction during child initiated is also vital.

I think there can be a danger with child initiated - I once worked with a colleague who took child initiated to mean just let the children do what they want in a messy, unorganised , chaotic classroom - she would roll in as the bell went in the morining (her room was always a tip) and then 'do' child initiated.

The key to successful child initiated is in the set up and the organisation of it, but children shouldn't be directed to an activity or too limited choice on offer. ( I think)

I agree with Bungalow that you need to plan for enhanced and directed activites but your continuous provision planning only really needs doing once, as this is how you organise and resource the different areas you have mentioned in your planning sheet. The enhancements are anything you add to your continuous provision to further stimulate the children. Perhaps the only exception here is role-play and I had a seperate plan for that covering all learning areas, but only one side of A4 planned according to the theme.

If you type in CP you will find some plans on this site, done in different ways, and you can use these for your long-term planning - once done they are done so don't make work for yourself as there is enough to do already.

So do most people not do a weekly plan for the different learning bays?

At the moment I do, but it only says what will be in the areas, and tends to stay the same for the week. Also, we tend to have continuous resources out in most areas, which we don't put in the planning, e.g. all the stuff you'd normaly have in a writing area.

Although we put stuff out, and plan for this, the children use it in their own way, and add / change resources quite freely. It would be difficult to just let the children choose all the reources because we have problems with storage and accessibilty at the moment. I also like to give the children the chance to try some resources they might not usually pick for themselves because I find they usually end up liking it - and often request it later.

I'm not sure if I'm planning too much now, so would like to hear from a few more people please. :)

Hi Laura - I don't do a separate plan for my continuous provision but just have them on my planning template and will add in details for what is going into my materials' tray (I also add in other curriculum areas if I think it will develop these) and the program that I will have on the computer that week. Here's an example which is probably clearer than my waffling! Monday.doc

I have what I term as my child-initiated play at the end of the day when the children are free to play with whatever they choose and my planned activities for the day have been put away. Does anyone else do it like this?

Was that question for me? If it was, on top of my continuous provision (which I'm hoping to expand on by improving my outside area) I plan another 8 things - at least 1 thing for each of CLL, MD, KUW, PD and CD. I don't very often have something out for PSED as I think that it's covered by my classroom protocol and how we relate to the children and encourage them to relate to each other. That's my independent activities but I also have planned focus activities. Here's a copy of my plan for today - again, easier than my waffling! Friday.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)