Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Targets

How many targets do you set for each child. We currently set a numeracy, literacy and, if needed, a fine motor type one. We give the targets to parents. Do you make children aware of the targets and do you have them displayed in the classroom?

Guest tinkerbell

I have had childrens own targets on display under a photo of themselves eg I want to get better at drawing..(Reception)The year1 have a specific litand numeracy target.

This half term I will talk to Reception about literacy target and a numeracy target.I have a target sheet that is stuck in the back of the year1 books that flips out and we read what our targets are before we write etc. I may do this with reception.

Tinkerbellx

I have had childrens own targets on display under a photo of themselves eg I want to get better at drawing..(Reception)The year1 have a specific litand numeracy target.

This half term I will talk to Reception  about  literacy target and a numeracy target.I have a target sheet that is stuck in the back of the year1 books that flips out and we read what our targets are before we write etc. I may do this with reception.

Tinkerbellx

54059[/snapback]

that's a neat idea... I'm going to try that too!

cheers

I have just designed some writing targets for "top, middle and bottom" groups (hate those descriptions but using it just so you know what I mean.) These would be appropriate for the final term. I'm going to attach them in the front of literacy books so they can flip out when they are writing.

I'll try and attach them. I used Sassoon Primary Infant so I'm not sure what it will look like if you don't have that on your computer. Hope it's useful. HeyjudeTargets___bottom.docTargets___middle.docTargets___top.doc

hi there heyjude

Thanks for adding the picture targets. I have downloaded them and will be using them when I am teaching Reception next year.

Why do people have targets for children in Reception? I used to when I was in Y2 but haven't in Reception. We talk about things to remember but this is done in a general way and I'll also praise or nag :o as appropriate when we're working together. I have thought that targets seem quite heavy for little people of 4 and 5. Do I need to start doing them?

I would rather not have targets Moose - i would rather do as some people on herre have mentioned- things i would like to be better at so that the target comes from the child. However our head insists we have them and he wants them for literacy and numeracy. He wants children to be aware of their target - however this is so far proving pointless as, although they are displayed in written and picture form - children are still clueless as to what their target is!!!

I have done targets in the past.

I don't do them any more - what is the point of them??????

However, we do do next steps/extension on individual observations from child inititated work which I believe is a million times more worthwhile than "I can leave finger spaces" etc

I agree with all the above. I used to do indeividual targets for every child, because that's what the school required. However, I then found it was a pointless exercise and dropped it and managed perfectly well. We just made notes on childrens work identifying next steps as Bungalow said and that has been more successful. For parents I just had some target trains in the home/school diary which gave some basic targets for the year - eg. write name, come into school happily, cut carefully... get the idea?

But then the monster of target setting loomed again and the rest of the school have been working hard to improve the target setting so, feeling guilty and like the one who always opts out, I devised some simple literacy targets for the final term which are based on the things we have noticed are key target issues. So while I would much rather not do them in Reception it is one more hoop to jump through and hopefully something good will come from it.

heyjude, trying very hard! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)