Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interesting Visitors Wanted.

traditionally our early years have had a summer outing but due to the cost to the school, and parent helpers not helping ( smoking, not following the itinery and abandoning their group!) we are reluctant to go out this year. Has anyone any interesting ideas for people to come and visit us instead?

fay

I'm keen on bringing animals into school :D

We had a visit last year from Millers Ark Farm, which the children absolutely loved. They set up their pens on our field and had free-ranging goats :D . The children got to stroke lots of animals and some children were able to bottle feed lambs.

There is also a company who bring birds of prey into school. They visit for free and make their money by selling photos of the children with a snowy owl. I can find out who they are if you're interested. It's good fun - they do an animal encounters style of talk as well as a flying demonstration where some of the children get to hold a bird.

There is also a company called Reptiles R Us who I think also visit schools (would have to do a google for that one).

Failing that there are alway theatre companies...

Zoo lab is always very popular

Next term we have lots of visitors planned

We have big working horses coming in to display how they work in forests where machinery cant access.

A willow artist to build a willow dragon structure with the help of the children

Childrens author Susan Gates to share her stories and excourage writing

story tell Chris Bostock to do a weeks workshop to encourage imagination

and an africa drum workshop

Think thats the lot

Also doing fun days for Send a Cow and Barnardos

Last year Playgroup Network had Chris Bostock as one of the keynote speakers at their conference-he was fantastic and really inspired me to do more story telling rather than reading at pre-school. You will really enjoy his session Marion-has he visited you before?

Linda

o0o sorry to gatecrash this thread, but I'm looking for a company that will bring animals into school as we can't go out as a whole group (8 in my class but 5 wheelchair uses and the minibus will only fit 2 or 3 at a time!). We're in Manchester. Any ideas folks? I've just had a look at that Zoolab- any idea of how much it is?

Marion,

I am really conerned, your avitar is really sad, are you depressed, do you need a forum hug :o ?

53782[/snapback]

Can never have too many hugs but I saw the avatar and I had bought myself a Steiff Eeyore yesterday :)

Thanks for the thought I will pick a new one today :D

Edited by Marion

Last year Playgroup Network had Chris Bostock as one of the keynote speakers at their conference-he was fantastic and really inspired me to do more story telling rather than reading at pre-school. You will really enjoy his session Marion-has he visited you before?

Linda

53767[/snapback]

He is very good and works right across the school. This will be his third visit and the children are really looking forwards to having a week of storytelling :)

hi,

have just booked ZOOLAB UK for a hour session looking at lifecycles for our growing theme and the cost was £70 + VAT. The ranger brings in all the required animals/minibeasts for you to look at and handle... so have done a consent form for parents of children to sign and are inviting a parent in for "moral support" as a sort of open morning to see what we do!!!

kizzy xx :o

How do we contact Chris Bostock?

Guide dog puppy walkers and hearing dogs will make school visits for free.

Your local Blue Cross may visit with some friendly pets.

thanks for all those great suggestions.

Marion do you usually have so many visitors? It sounds wonderful.

I would be really interested in details for the willow sculpture, if possible.

I'm off to google your ideas thanks again.

Details about Chris on his web site http://chrisbostock.co.uk/

We do have quite a few visitors throughout the year two other story tellers, Kirtida who tells hinu stories and brings in clothes for the children to dress up and make sweets and bindi etc ISKCON Educational Services, Newcastle Branch, 304 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6AR

Tel: (0191) 272 1911

Email: Bhakti@iskconnewcastle.freeserve.co.uk

Presentations to Primary and Secondary Schools, Sixth Formers, Colleges, Universities and INSET.

Please Contact Kirtida for more information

and Pasqualle (appologies if I spelt that wrong) and zoo lab (they do themed performances with stories for young children so we invite them each Halloween to do Meg and Mog stories with creatures)but the summer term is extra full. Just realised I missed off Ward Allen and Roger the dog who will be performing at our end of year party.

I've hopefully added some pictures of the type of work Ruth our Willow artist has done with other schools. The idea is to make an interesting outdoor area to stimulate imagination.

http://www.sylvanskills.co.uk/about.htm

http://www.willow-culture.co.uk/earth_balance.htm

post-4544-1145097180_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1145097241_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1145097264_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1145097296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marion

Do you know if the willow artist is very expensive. I would love for us to have something like that in our setting but just wondered about cost?

Do you know if the willow artist is very expensive. I would love for us to have something like that in our setting but just wondered about cost?

53892[/snapback]

Ruth charges £170 for a days workshop plus materials and travelling expenses so it works out approx £300 for the size structure we want to build. I know some sites sell packs with instructions to make your own.

Ummmm maybe have to try the making our own option. I don't think our schools budget would stretch to the artist. Shame our children would have loved it!

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you in the Bristol Area,

Bristol Zoo does visits to pre-schools, nursery schools etc. Have just booked them for our 'end of term outing' (or should it be inning!) :o

They bring animals and tell a story using them, told they use spider, snake, lizard, hissing cockroach to name a few. cost at present £60.00 per hour but they said if children are really interested they do not stick to that and can stay longer. They do 2 hour slots for schools.

worth a call, we just found them by calling Zoo after reading this thread!

many thanks for idea

Inge

"Bristol Zoo does visits to pre-schools, nursery schools etc. Have just booked them for our 'end of term outing' (or should it be inning!) "

I have found that Whipsnade do visits as well

70 pounds if visiting

100 pounds if not (sorry lost my pounds sign)

Thanks to everyone for all your good ideas

I have booked zoolab we are sharing a long morning visit with year1

145 +VAT for 3 45 min sessions. Two on pets and one on minibeasts.

They also do food road shows as foodlab.....

perhaps we could set up a list of good visitors or places in the resources section.

Fay

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)