Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Understanding EYFS 21

Hello, whilst we all have fantastic understanding of the new EYFS 2021,

I am struggling to update our Tapestry to the new EYFS - we are an Early Years Provision. (Playgroup for 2-4 years) Do you still get the age bands with the new EYFS? I am either not doing it right or you don't get them? 

any help would be great please!

Hi, 

With the new framework moving away from the tracking children through age bands etc, the new guidance materials from Development Matters and Birth to 5 Matters are designed in a way to not be used in the same way i.e no age bands to track through. These are really only to be used to support and guide your planning and provision. 

On Tapestry, the EYFS 2021 flags allow you to show which areas (from the 7 areas of the new Development Matters and the aspects from Birth to 5 Matters if you are using them and have them enabled) an observation is related to. These are not any kind of assessment though and just a way to help you find relevant observations later when considering the development of a child in each of the areas. 

The flagged observations then feed into the Areas of Concern screen, which is a space that allows you highlight any areas for a child where they may need extra support or need their provision in that area adapted. Once the child is developing as you expect them to and accessing the provision planned for them, they would then be able to be moved back to no concern. 

We recently recorded this webinar that covers how to use the EYFS 2021 and the Areas of Concern flags. Please let me know if you have any other questions though. 

• Like 1