Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Ratios In Maintained Nurseries

I am wondering if anyone can help. I know that the staff ratio in maintained nurseries is 1 in 10 when there is a qualified teacher and a nursery nurse (sorry teaching assistant). What happens when there are more children e.g 40. Do you then have to employ 2 teachers and 2 TAs or can you have one teacher and 3 ta's?

Does anyone know where I could find out?

Thanks Sue

Hi Susie65

ratio is 1-13 One Teacher plus a NN if numbers go to 26 -I had a 39 place Nursery in a first school and there was me (teacher )plus 2 NN BUT these ratios are only guidlines and not law,as I found out it is up to your Head.I have been one or two children over or under these ratios .At the moment I am working with 1 NN and I have 20 children But am getting 11 more after Easter and No extra staff .

Crestacat :)

If you ring your local education authority they could probably clarify

In theory with 40 children 4 adults would be the recommended staffing ratio (you have 1 child over the 1-13 ratio so another adult would be required )but in my experience this is rarely the case. As Cresta said 1-13 is only a guide and not enforcable by law.

In Cresta's position with 31 children my LEA WOULD advice 3 adults (luckily) but probably not if there were only 27 children.

Hi Susie, this is my first mail so I hope I get it right. I work in a maintained nursery in Oldham where the staff ratio is 1:15. We have 30 children who attend full time. It is run with two Nursery Nurses. The ratio is only a guideline. In other authorities, I believe the ratio is 1:10. It does seem to vary between authorities which is very unfair. The ratio in private day nurseries is 1:8 for three and four year olds which makes a difference to the adult attention that can be given. As Crestacat says, best to contact your LEA for their ratios.

Sue

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/f..._stage/1152575/

Maintained nursery school

Children Act guidance, volume 2

2:20 (qualified teacher status + NNEB)

2:26 (where the headteacher does not teach)

Nursery class in maintained school

Education Act (1988) regulation 4 states 'for the governing body to determine'.

Children Act guidance, volume 2 states, 2:26 is 'suitable and sufficient in numbers' 2:26 (qualified teacher status + NNEB)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)