Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Are Your Children Now?

so on the topic on on-entry assessment what does everyone else do.

we've been asked two things by our head recently.

One: - what level is the average child at the end of nursery (not on starting reception)... but at the end of Nursery.

and Two: - how can we effectively track a child and show value-added from nursery to the end of reception...

of course my answer was... "hmmm... I'm not sure"

last year, because we have our own Nursery attched, we asked our Nursery staff to transfer their end-of-year assessments onto the e-profile, so we could just carry them on when the children arrived with us. NOw I know this isn't really the right thing to do, but it has worked.... most of the children had 1, 2 or 3 points in some of the areas, so it did infact show value added from the end of Nursery to the end of recpetion... but we don't have anything from the start of nursery... so how can we say what level the children are when they enter nursery - compared to the national average!!!???

he also wants national average scores for the FSP... does anyone know if these are available and wqhere we can get them? I reemeber getting sent a summary a while back for last year but can't rememebr where it came from :(

:oxD oh don't we all just lurve spending our time 'adding value and scores' to children :(:(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Finally sent off my results but im getting more and more confused (annoyed) with the different messages on points and what the average is.

We were told average points were 4-5 in our lea and ive just seen my nephews profile who has been giving 8-9 on all points and i know one or two of my children were more gifted. Who has scored incorrectly? I gave my children what i thought they deserved and used NICE to be certain, but now against others they seems low.

Is this something to get used to?

:o

I think that you sound as if you've been rigorous and thorough - what more can anyone ask? Far better to be cautious, I would say, than generous.

When I was moderated fairly recently, the moderator and I were chatting and she said about places that she'd been to where she'd found children who had been marked off as 8s and 9s who plainly weren't. Scoring children so highly puts a terrible strain, I think, on the child and their future teachers - especially now that there is the official line about the correlation between profile scores and predicted SATs levels. If the children can do the things then fine but if they can't - ooh don't get me started... :o

I agree Moose. We were moderated last month and we have gone on the basis that 6 is average. We were told that we were spot on with all our assessments so are happy with the judgements we have made.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)