Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Rotas

Hi everyone

Really enjoying the site and starting to learn now how it all works.

I am in the process of updating and changing our staff rotas.

We have three areas in our nursery (large church hall) that a member of staff is assigned into each day.

Was wondering if anyone has any examples/formats they would share or jobs they include in the staff plans.

i can't think of another way of doing ours and thought that somone maybe able to open my mind up a little to a new more efficient way of doing our staff plans! :o

Thanks

Hi Mandy!

How old are your children, for a start. Are your areas adjacent/freeflow or what?? How many staff do you have, vetted, qualified etc. ?

Sorry, but need this sort of info to really respond - speak soon

Sue :D

Hi Mandy. I assign staff members to different areas of the room on a termly basis, so for example, the writing area is staffed by three staff members who also take responsibility for maybe 2 other areas. Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Hi. Here is my staff rota. We run on a Week 1, Week 2 basis, throughout the duration of the term. This allows the jobs of setting up the areas to be spread out equally between all the staff. We are in a community centre and have to bring out all our equipment at the start of the session and return it at the end, so the staff are responsible for ensuring their areas are properly set up. The staff also encourage the children to tidy up the equipment in their designated areas, ready for putting away.

If there are 'spare' staff (after their areas have been tidied up), we all join in to help others in their areas.

We don't have rotas for circle time or snack preparation and washing up, but we try to leave circle time to the qualified staff and the washing up to those not inlcuded in ratios. Students to sometimes carry out circle time, but they are quite shy and are yet to gain confidence in 'performing' in front of the children in large groups.

Staff_Rota.doc

Meant to say that fortunately, there are enough staff members to deploy equally across the areas. I know this isn't always the case in settings, but we are quite lucky. If a member of staff doesn't turn up for work (which doesn't happen often!) then we all work together to ensure the areas are set up/put away properly.

Currently, we have 30 children attending our setting, ranging in age from 2-5 (3 x 2 year olds). We are fortunate with our staff, but the majority of them are older people who have chosen childcare as a career change. They also have children of varying ages, so childcare is often a problem, particularly during the school holidays. I should also add, that we only operate during term time only, 9:00-1:00, so the time fits in well with all the staff, especially those whose children are attending schools part time!