Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do I Need To Know?

This might seem like a really obvious question but as some of you will already know, I'm really nervous about the imminent arrival of Ofsted to my pre-school. I know they are due and with the change in management just recently I know it won't be long before they are knocking on the door!

So, I was wondering as to the kinds of things I need to be prepared for? My manager hasn't been too much help lately what with all the different things going on. I have been involved in inspections before but not on a mangement level.

I have read through the appropriate standards (we follow the sessional standards) and am making sure that all is as it should be, but I keep reading about self evaluations and 5 outcomes. I'm not sure where I would find this information or even what information I would need.

I'm trying not to let it worry me, but I would like to get a favourable outcome for my first inspection. Maybe I'm asking to much, but it would be really good both for the pre-school (it'll be our first proper inspection) and for me professionally.

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received! Thanks

Clare

I recently went through an Inspection at my setting. The above self evalation form is the one I used. I completed it with the rest of my team and we regualary update it at staff meetings. I also added notes to why I think we are at each grade - supply evidence i.e we have a keyperson system.

Have you got the booklet 'Are you ready for Inspection' - It has a list of documents you are asked to produce and I had these already or knew where I could put my hands on them. The Operational Plan was a major document she wanted to look at- I was updating mine but had a draft copy and this was acceptable.

Have you got a copy of the latest update to the National Standards (October 2005)? I had overlooked having to have a complaints folder regardless of whether you have had any complaints or not . There has also been a change from 1st April 2006 to Child Protection - a couple of

my policies had to be updated.

If you would like any help with anything in particular please email me.

Sue

ps We passed with several good/satisfactory outcomes.

Hi Smiles. We don't have the update to the National Standards unfortunately! Nor do I think that the self-evaluations have been do0ne regularly enough. How often would you say is necessary?

I am interested in the changes to Child Protection. I didn't even know about these and I'm pretty sure my manager doesn't either. Would be grateful if you could let me know what the changes were or where I could get a copy of the updated standards. Thanks!

Hi, This is the change to the Child Protection . I am trying to find out whether the APC has just become the LSCB or whether it is an entirely different thing. I got the updated version of the standards from the Ofsted web site but did have trouble locating it. If you want me to email you a copy let me know. Tried to attacth here but too large.

Standard 13: Child Protection

The registered person complies with local child protection procedures approved by the Area Child Protection Committee and ensures that all adults working and looking after children in the provision are able to put the procedures into practice.

Written statement

13.2 All types of day care

13.3 Childminding

Paragraph 13.2 (day care) is reworded to make it clear the mandatory requirements in regulations. Area Child Protection Committees will be replaced by Local Safeguarding Children Boards by 1 April 2006.

We are updating our SEF termly .

Sue

Sue

4007.doc

Hi Smiles. Thanks for that. Does the changes apply to all National Day Care Standards (We're Sessional)? Might sound really dim, but it's been one of those days! :o

Thanks

Thanks for that Smiles! Will have to let my manager know, just to be on the safe side! If she does know about, it she never mentioned it to me :o !