Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Common Assessment Famework?

Hi there

what do people think about the (CAF) framework for assessment which every setting should be working towards by 2008? ive got to research it for college, it sounds great in principle as it is getting help early for children who need it and no more ringing aound various agencies for info. But ive hear mixed reports??? what are your thoughts on the matter or is it another short lived gov idea. :D

I feel really ignorant clg because i have never heard of it!!! Could you please tell me something about it or do you know of a website where i can find out more??

Thanks

Lola

Well, I think in principle its a good idea as I think in principle so are all the other initiatives and strategies that this Government are TRYING bringing on board - but I think many of them are flawed. They seem to be trying to bring in too many too quickly without fully understanding the implications of those working with it on the ground. It's linked into the Public Health White paper, the Children#s Workforce Strategy and various other intiatives but there is so much work to be done in the mean time and they seem to be trying to address everything all at once which I believe is a recipe for disaster. The fact is that that no-one knows exactly how many people are working in early years - the disparity of numbers is incredible - there are hundreds of qualifications for early years workers - all different - with a different emphasis - I think they are spending vast amounts of money trying to understand this, see Shefflied Hallam, CWDC, Cameron reaseach - all major research - just into what qualificaitons there are in early years and where they fall. I think it will be of great benefit to have an integrated qualificaitons framework whereby the CAF can be incorporated into. Otherwise I think it will end up as piece meal training with yet another plethora of qualifications. Many local authorities have admitted that they do not know what is required and how they are going to address this and what is required so they rely on the CWDC who are not yet in position of who has got what qualificaiton and what it covers so yes I thinik its good but I also think there is not enough support and the various groups of childrens service workers will not all necessarily be keen for change and will therefore make it difficult to achieve in its fullest extend - thereby creating a watered down version which may have a negative impact with no-one really knowing what they are doing and the worrying thing is without the experience and knowledge to do it - but perhaps I am being negative - I hope it works - it does make a lot of sense but let's just see how much money they can put into the system to make it work properly, if like the ambitious CWDC and the Childrens Centres then probably not enough but on the plus side I suppose they are doing something. We have already seen the demise of some of the NN's because they jsut were not sustainable and really many of these intitatives are not reaching the people who need them most because they are still just too unaffordable -

Nikki

I feel really ignorant clg because i have never heard of it!!! Could you please tell me something about it or do you know of a website where i can find out more??

Thanks

Lola

53065[/snapback]

its linked the every child matters scheme i think if you put common assessment framework in you should get something. :)

its linked the every child matters scheme i think if you put common assessment framework in you should get something. :)

53087[/snapback]

Try this link

CAF info

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)