Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Area

Im am planning to do a topic on Traditional Stories next half term and I can't think of a role play area that I could set up that would be linked to this topic.

Has anyone done this topic before? If so have you got any good ideas to pass on and also a good idea for a role play area.

Thank you.

Hi

When we did traditional stories we set up the role play area as the 3 bears house, from goldilocks and the 3 bears, the kids had a great time acting out the story etc

How about Jack and the beanstalk?

After Easter I'm linking this with variation in the garden and making a castle display-leaving a blank space, and posing the problem -Is there anything that could cheer up the grumpy giant? I will engineer the children into suggesting the role play but build with their ideas! We can put the home corner in there to help the new younger children Also want to involve children with planning our outside play area, as it needs some development.

Thinking of having a tea party for the parents and asking them to bring a plant and tools!!

Has anyone else done this?

Another one we have done is the Elves and the shoemaker and had a shoe shop-design matching 3 d sandals-paper sole and a band across the top as the sandal

types footwear counting in 2's footprints making and following,

patterns

how are shoes made

stitch round a cardboard shoe shape

Im am planning to do a topic on Traditional Stories next half term and I can't think of a role play area that I could set up that would be linked to this topic.

Has anyone done this topic before? If so have you got any good ideas to pass on and also a good idea for a role play area.

Thank you.

52740[/snapback]

52752[/snapback]

Hi , We often use the role play area along side our story of the week.

Other than the tried and trusted ones (the castel for Jack and the Bean stalk etc) we have tried changing a traditional role corner for The tiger who came to tea. This was fairly straight forward and only needed a big tin labelled "Tiger Food" a few dressing up props for Mummy, a hat and bunch of keys for Dad and lots of props to hand for suggesting alternative food for the greedy tiger.

Hope it helps

Hi - in the past we have had the role play as the giants castle - (this one was really popular), three bears house, grandma's cottage (Red Riding Hood), Gingerbread man - baker's shop, and a wolfs den - hope this helps.

How about Grandma's Cottage or the wolf' sden for Little Red Riding Hood?

We made our role play area into Nursery Rhyme cottage and had boxes of different props to suggest different characters from stories and rhymes eg, Humpty Dumpty- soldiers jackets and hats, hobby horses, bricks and builder stuff, hospital stuff.

Barb

We've done giants castle, we bought a tunnel and curtains ( used as a back cloth) with castle scenery on it from Ikea. ( £20 ish). We have also covered the sides of our climbing frame with large stiff paper and the children printed brick patterns with sponges. Made the bean pole out of tubing with the tip made from rolled newspaper ( remember the palm tree's you used to make).

The whole area was very popular for weeks.

Peggy

peggy I like the idea of using the climbing frame alongside the role play it gives the children some new ideas. Then when it is just a climbing frame again the children see it in a different light, last week we got some sari material from the dressing up box drapped it over frame and made it Aladins den and the children loved it.

we've done 3 bears cottage, I think its probably the one everyone thinks of first

What about a shoe shop and the story of the shoe maker and the elves the children can look at all kinds of foot wear, play shops, talk about what shoes would be worn for ie boots, shoes, trainers, party shoes, wellingtons etc they can also looke at sizes, colours, materials, fastenings.

Thank you, there are some wonderful ideas. I think I might give my children the choice of which one they would like from your choices and go from there.

Hope everyone has a good Easter break.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)