Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scrapstores

Verona

I have been looking for a new 'scrapstore' for over a year and have finally arranged to meet with the manager of the Material Bank at Portsmouth today to have a look round.

I am taking a member of staff that is responsible for the 'resources' and we are both really looking forward to it. (The perks of being in charge of the resource cupboards !!!! :D:o

No doubt we will have to lunch out - I'll let you know what we thought of the scrapstore.

Sue J

Good luck with it! I couldn't do without mine (Southampton). The resources are endless and providing you go in with an open mind and let your imagination go, you'll come out with loads!

We find the paper is a great resource, you can get all colours and sizes and it's free.

Also the arts and crafts section is really good and not as expensive as in shops.

Have you got a big car? you'll need it!

Have Fun

Kymberley

Hi

I went to the one in Fratton, Portsmouth - it was a lot bigger than the one I have been a member of for years!!! I was getting fed up with paying the subscription and there not being anything worth having, so decided to look around.

It took us about 40mins to get there but it was worth it. Lots of paper, card, material, tubs, etc, etc and the craft centre there was very good, they sell 5 litres of glue for £7 where as I normally pay £11. Sugar paper is cheaper than I pay as well. Needless to say I signed up and filled my trolley. I've got a Shogun - the back was full and so were the back seats - my excuse is that we will probably only go once every half term - so need to make sure we have enough to last !!! xD:o

We had a lovely meal and look forward to doing it again :D:D

Sue J

Hi

How much is it to join the scrapstore, i enquired about our local one only the yearly subscription for one person is £56. thats for one person to have a card more than one member of staff on the card costs more.

This is a big outlay as we are a pre-school, i wasn't sure what we would be able to get from the scrapstore as i have never been to one before.

Ours is £67.00 per year, but it is unlimited visits. Although it does seem quite alot of money to payout, you definately save an enormous amount over the year. As Sue J said, she saved money on glue and sugar paper alone. You can buy so much craft stuff cheaper too.

When I first started going (years ago) I went with my old supervisor, she went with specific things to look for and was always disappointed. You have to go with an open mind because stock changes every week virtually, depending on what comes in from companies that donate stuff.

I have made great displays with sticky backed plastic (but don't mention that to loopylou!). Last year B&Q gave unsold rugs and these were fantastic for the home corner - very cosy!

It would be worth giving it a go - if it's not what you're looking for, you haven't wasted a fortune!

Ours stock powder paints, ready made paint, glue, sequins, brushes, paper to buy (and loads good quality for free), coloured sand, sand, clay, paint/glue pots, coloured card, glue guns, staplers - all stationary! fabrics, plastic, lace, ribbon, ideas fact sheets, shiny things, dull things, natural things - oh, just buy a membership, you'll not regret it!!

Just remembered - you can hire things too - woodwork bench and tools, badge making machine, parachute - all very cheaply!

they are a great idea, the things available are not always what youll find in the resouce section of the educational catalogues or the local highstreet which is great its nice to have an alternative supply of resources

its just getting to one when you dont have a car!

It would be good if there was a list of scrap stores (is there a list any where?) I can imagine an internet search is going to find all kinds of "scrap"!

im sure the one in madistone, kent that we joined was £20 a year subscription and £5 each time you filled a trolley, unlimited visits too i think?. it sounds alot cheaper than some.

If you go to

www.come.to/scrapstores.uk or www.childrensscrapstore.co.uk

you will get a list of scrapstores

or just go into google and search for scrapstores in whatever county you are in , it will come up with lists for you.

Sue J