Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Journey's Topic

hi next term our termly topic is journeys. i wanted to ad a week about space as my children love rockets, aliens and space in general, can any one recomend any books or ideas with a space theme.

really appreciate it thanks x

'Whatever Next' by Jill Murphy - the bear uses a box and household items to go up in space - a mini topic about space grew out of this story when I used it before Christmas. Great for role play - need a big box and the things the bear uses. Hubby has gone off in car with my planning file (I'm on holiday) so I'll have a look at what other books we used when he gets back :)

Megsmum

Martian Rock (sorry don't know author)

The story is about a group of martians flying off to explore whether there is life anywhere else in space. Eventually the only life form they discover is a colony of penguins. The story is told in rhyme and there is loads of information about space for children who like 'finding out'-we made papier mache planet surface for small world, snow scape for penguins (papier mache painted white) and planet number line.

Also like here Come the Aliens by Colin McNaughton and we used to have a book called Noah and the Space Ark (has now fallen to pieces and I think it's out of print but your library might have it) which was about the way we are damaging our planet. Also book called Roaring Rockets

Barb

Q Pootle 5 by Nick Butterworth is a great story about an alien on his way to a moon party.

I also just got a book today called 'Stella to Earth' if you have an ASDA near you, it only cost £1.60!! bargain!

:o:D

We're just coming to the end of our space topic. The children have loved it!!

We made flying saucers out of paper plates and rockets out of cardboard tubes. As well as Whatever next we read Spaceman Piggywiggy & Jack in a box - about a boy who uses a cardboard box for a train, rocket etc. Those were the best space stories we found.

There was a previous discussion about the book 'The Aliens are Coming' that might be useful. You can find it here.

Edited by Guest

At the moment, Cbeebies are 'doing' space and they have come up with lots of ideas for role-play. They show you how to make things for the role-play area too! I have seen so many over the last two weeks, that I can't remember them all but thought I would mention it

I work in a pre-school but we are also doing the space theme next term: we are doing

Flying saucers made from old cd's and milk bottle tops

Collage of shiny fabrics

Giant junk modelling space ship

Stars and planet painting - black paper and splatter painting

Large sponges for attaching to children's feet, duvet's and pillows for a moon walk!

Lots of counting backwards....5 4 3 2 1 etc

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)