Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please!

Hey! I know that year 2 is a bit older than the discussions usually on here, but on friday I was given a day's supply work in a year 2 class (I've not taught year 2 since my 2nd year on my course about 4/5 yaers ago now!) and I've been told to take my own work with me.

I'm fine with literacy and numeracy stuff, but it's the afternoon stuff I'm worried about.

I'm not sure what to do with them, and I have no idea what kind of resources they will have, because i've enver been to this school before.

Anyone got some interesting ideas for this class? I'm doing it on tuesday, so any quick responses would be great! Usually when I'm told to do what I want it's a last minute thing so I'm ok and can work something out and there always seems to be work left from earlier in the work that the kids can finish, but I feel like I should prepare something for this, having this time in advance!

Maybe stocking shaped cards for the children to write a letter to Santa? Encourage repeated pattern making on the front?

I don't know what your area of expertise is...mine's music so if ever I get called in on supply and told to do my own thing, I think I'm in heaven!!! If you use your curriculum strength it doesn't seem so hard coming up with ideas xD

If you're not happy bursting into song, you could do some work on rhythms...

ask for Christmassy words and phrases (Christmas cracker, opening presents, Father Christmas, pudding and custard!) Get the children to tap out the rhythms on a woodblock, tambour, etc. Put them into groups (say, 4) and when you point to the group with your fake conductor's baton, they start chanting their word/phrase, repeatedly. When you point the baton down, they stop (if you're lucky :o ). You can then get a child to conduct (they love the power!)

Thanks for your help, but it was too late, and anyway, I ended up not doing year 2, cos when I got there they agency had made a mess of things and it turned out they should have booked someone for year 5 not year 2! I had to go back home again! Then I got called out to a reception class about 40 minutes away from me, but ended up doing 2 days work (yesterday and today) and they were a lovely class.

Usually when I get told I can do what I want on the day I'm ok, I just felt like I should have something a bit more planned cos I'd had this booking afew days.

As for the Christmas thing, many schools don't like Christmas stuff until later on in December (boring heads in some schools!). My 2nd subject is music, so I'm quite at home belting out a tune or playing my clarinet or recorder, but it always seems a bit much for a whole afternoon!

Thanks again for your help though, I'm fed up of this supply lark, I want a full time job!!!!! :o

Hi Nicohla,

Glad the supply went well in the end!

How frustrating to find you had been wrongly booked. Good job(!) you hadn't already been offered & refused the Reception work.

We tend to have a shortage of teachers in my LEA. Budgets don't tend to run to supply, either.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Susan

Thanks! As it happened I had turned down other work, from my other agency, as I had been expecting to have been working that day, so I was really pleased when I was able to work that day, which led to another day's work today too.

I'm really fed up with not having a job though. I can see the supply coming to a halt now, cos it's nearly Christmas. I wish I'd got a job for January!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)