Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long, Medium And Short Term Plans

Hi, I'm still training to be a teacher but qualify in july all being well! I've only really seen the plans that the class teacher has done adn dont find I can work with them that easily. CAn anyone post an example of their long term plan and how they link that to their medium term and again how they use this in their short term plans? And when they do eeach one, ie long term plans presumably in the summer although once they are done I guess thats it, then meduim term ones 2 terms before and short term a term before???

any advice gratefully received! thanks

jo

Hi

Other people might disagree but I wouldn't do the planning that much in advance because it doesn't allow for responding to the children's progress / assessments.

We have a planning meeting for Medium Term (Nursery and Reception together) a couple of weeks before the end of each half term. We then plan for the next half-term only.

For short term, I meet with my Reception team once a week. We look at the observations etc from last week, and feed this into our planning. We plan for the next week. although I know some people find even this too much in advance, and prefer daily plans. (something i'm considering, although want to find out more).

Haven't got my MTP on this computer, but basically we have a column with the ELGs, then 2 columns for actvities (1 continuous, e.g. stuff we do every term, and 1 for topic based stuff). Then we have a columns where we can add stuff/ make notes and evaluations.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Hi Jo

I agree with Kelly-planning that far in advance doesn't give you the opportunity to be led by the children's interests.

We no longer plan through topics so our long term plans are about the curriculum we offer to the children. Our medium term plans are for a half term, based on what we have observed with the children. This group we have presently are very tactile and so we are concentrating on those sorts of activities. We look at activities and ensure that we are covering the range of areas of learning and stepping stones. We then plan weekly-but sometimes they go out of the window depending on what the children are doing and the weather-as we don't have an outside area that we can access daily we tend to use the church garden and so have to go out all together. So if the weather is reasonable we keep their coats on when they arrive, go outside for about 20 mins or so and fit our plans around this.

Linda

I agree with Kelly we dont plan that far in advance. Next week we will have a planning meeting to plan for first half of the summer term (medium term ) We opperate a 2 year rolling cycle

I have put some of our planning on and will look out the rest and post later.

Long_Term_Planning_Grid.doc

Transport_Summer_Med_term.doc

summer_term_literacy.doc

Numeracy_summer_med_term.doc

Edited by Marion

I use the ELGs as my long term plan. I've typed these out into a grid and mark off as I cover them to ensure that I do everything over the course of a year. ELGs_term_by_term.doc

For my MT plans I've started to just do an overview of what I will be doing each week. These only show my adult directed/initiated provision. critical_path.doc

My short term plans consist of w/c literacy, numeracy and adult/independent activities week_5.doc week_5.doc week_5.doc.

This is only my second year in Reception and I've changed my planning formats I don't know how many times :o but I feel okay with them for now xD. You'll get loads of great ideas off this site, everyone's really helpful, and it's just about nicking something here, tweaking something there, until you find something that works for you. Good luck!

Thanks for all those examples. I think the more I see the more confused I am about finding a system that will work for me!!

Moose-so you dont map out the ELG at the start of the year. you plan to cover most in all terms and then highlight when you feel that the children have achieved it?

As I'm so new to this I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to only plan for mon and tues but maybe I could plan the term out rougly as back up and then there is always room for relxability if the children start to direct the learning. Also working in a special needs school means the kids need slightly more structure than a mainstream.

thanks

jo

No, sorry! Didn't explain very well. I use my long term planner just to ensure that I cover everything. I aim to cover every ELG at least twice a year but some I would cover a lot more than this. Having them all typed out like this just means that I don't have to keep going back to look at the Curriculum Guidance and don't have to lug the folder around with me!

I don't use the ELGs for assessment. I'm still not entirely clear on this but I don't think the ELGs are assessment points. Instead I use the FSP which I think ARE assessment criteria.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)