Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Ideas For A Special School

I am thinking about topics for next year. I am training in a school for pupils with profound, severe and complex needs and I want to run a two year program as I have reception and year 1 class. Just wondering if any one had any nice topic ideas that they were doing that they think would suit this type of child. I dont really have any ideas for different topics/themes so any suggestions would be welcome just to give me few ideas where to start from.

Also if anyone is in the same position as me working at this type of school and could give me some ideas of the sort of activities they do to meet the ELG's that would be great too.

thanks

jo

Guest Miss Molly

Jop. I have just finished teaching the topic of PETS and would thoroughly recommend it for your SEN children. I found all the children were highly motivated. The children in our SEN class also used our MT planning and adapted it accordingly.

The topic is great as you can have the children's or teachers pets visiting, this would be ideal for your class. We had a guinea pig, hamster, fish, African Land Snail, snake, spider (I can't spell the T word!) , stick insects and bearded dragon lizard. We focused on different pets each week (starting with the most common) and then ended with a week on 'Amazing Pets'. The children were encouraged to bring in photos of their pets during the appropriate week and items to talk about and put on our interest table e.g. bowls, collars, books, food, brushes etc. Depending on your school you may be allowed to have cats, dogs in too. At the end of the topic we walked the children to the local pet shop where they could ask questions etc.

Throughout the topic the children made pets and pet homes using junk materials and class construction kits. The life-sized kennel was a huge success. They used playdough, paint and pastels to make representations. You would be able to find many suitable stories to link to the topic e.g. Kipper, Spot, Six Dinner Sid etc. There are plenty of opportunities for PSED including caring for living things, hygiene and saying goodbye. Our role-play area was a pet shop.

I would be happy to tell you more ideas for other areas if you decide to do this topic.

I'm in an SLD/PMLD school but unfortunately I"ve started off in KS2, an alien area to me, but I'm getting there.

In the FS stage and KS1 they have loads of lovely topics that work really well. I can't think of them all now, as I'm not at home so not got my topic cycles sheets with me, but some off the top of my head are:

Water (one class did a huge thing on the Rainbow Fish

Colours (a colour each week)

Transport (a mode of transport each week).

thanks, they seem like good ideas. any more so I can get a big list of ideas for next year would be welcome!

jo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)