Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child With Stammer

Need a bit of advice - one of my 4 yr olds has quite a pronounced stammer (one of the children asked why she kept saying the words over again) and I was going to talk to mum about it.

Now, in a different chat with mum I realised she has exactly the same stammer as her daughter so I'm not quite sure how to approach her about it without mum herself becoming selfconcious or defensive.

Any suggestions? Don't want to upset mum.

Megsmum

Hi Megsmum

I can see how this situation could be difficult! If the mum has grown up with the stammer herself she would already know about the problems it could cause, maybe she feels self conscience bringing it up?

I think it would be worth mentioning it to mum as you would with any parent, saying that you have noticed it and maybe she would like to get child assessed?

It could be she is just copying speech patterns from mum, either way I cant see that mum would be happy for her child to go through school, with something that could cause her difficulties.

I sure she would feel relieved if you brought it up, on the odd chance she dosnt feel you should interfer then at least you know you have done the best for the child concerned, at that is what is important.

Good luck

Akire

Found this site

British Stammering Association

I agree this is a sensitive arrear as Mum has a stammer as well as the child. Maybe you could just refer her to some information, thus leaving her to decide whether she wants to discuss it further with you.

Good luck.

Peggy

Thank you for your replies, I think I had better meet with mum after the holidays and see what she says/suggests, although I admit I will feel a little awkward :o

Peggy that site is great, I have added it to my personal favourites and from the information on there I really need to get the speech therapist involved whilst the child is under 5. Very interesting that it can be genetic, didn't realise that.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

Megsmum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)