Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jp - Quick Question

When you have introduced the long vowel phoneme 'ai', did you introduce the variations at the same time or did you introduce the variations after completing all the sets?

Laura

I don't introduce all the variations as a matter of course. I introduce the -ay ending as the need arises and the the a-e only to those children who are ready for it. (The silent e is a Y1 objective anyway).

I wonder what other people do?

We don't have Jolly Phonics, but have been told my Literacy Co-ordinator that we should have covered steps 1 - 7 of Pips by the end of Reception.

Which of the long vowel spellings do you use (are introduced in JP)?

ai, ee? but which others?

Confused - Harricroft.

Jolly Phonics introduces

ai ee ie oa ue

the work books also introduce the alternative spellingsalong side such as - ay ae a-e igh i-e oe o-e ow etc

When I first started using Jolly Phonics I used to teach all of these but dropped them when the literacy hour was introduced. I do mention there are different ways but I dont focus on them.

Crikey Harricroft - that's tough going isn't it? Just looked up in PiPs and Step 7 includes vowel trigraphs: 'igh', 'air' and 'ear'. What do other people do? My LEA is currently saying that they would like us to cover up to, and including, card 14 in PwS - a bit of a difference! Currently hyperventilating in case mine are WAY behind... :o

That's what it says in the NLS! The PwS folder up to card 14 includes 'ng', 'ck', 'wh' and double consonants 'ff', 'ss', 'll' and 'zz'. Somebody said something in another post about how much children are expected to do and it's true isn't it? These children are only 4 or 5 and the amount that we're expected to cram into them is vast - hooray for us and the children - what a blinding job we're all doing!

JP introduces the digraphs ee, or, ie, ai, ou, oi, ue, er, ar, sh, ch, th, oo, ng, qu (can't remember in what order off the top of my head). We then go on to introduce blends and the double consonants. Trigraphs? NO way!!!

i use jolly phonics and only introduce the intail sounds of a-z and sh, ch and th, year one conitue with the rest.

this year though i do have a very able little girl and as extra activites for her i do the ee ar er etc sounds, but shes the only one as she is reading at level 2 nc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)