Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking The Profile And The Guidance

hi, Im new to this site. I work in a special needs school with reception class. The Foundation Stage is just beginning to work properly but we still have lots to sort out. Just wanted to ask about planning. You definately plan from the FS guidance dont you? covering all of the ELG in there per year? but these dont really fit in exactly with the profile. So... does everyone plan and work by the guidance and then when assessing fit it in where you can on the profile or is there a better way?

thanks - I'm a student at the mo-qualify in july but no one at school seems to know!

thanks

jo

also half of the pupils in my class will not reach these ELG but should I still plan for those and then use the stepping stones in my medium term plans as a way of breaking down the ELG a bit or should I try and plan to cover the stepping stones as well.

thanks again

Hi Jo and welcome!

We do our planning against the stepping stones within the CGFS. As we're a pre-school we dont necessarily meet the ELGs, but we use the stepping stones (and observations) to plan activities/opportunities towards them.

We tend to observe children across the six areas of learning and then put these observations in the most relevant section of the profiles. They don't always match to the sections exactly, but the profiles tend to give you a good idea of where things should go.

When we do our planning, we plan using the stepping stones, rather than the ELGs. These are our learning intentions, in much the same way that ELGs are learning intentions for children in Reception, heading for the end of the FS.

I hope this helps in some way, Jo. I'd be interested to see the response you get from others!

Good luck with the rest of your training! :D

Clare

thanks for you reply. Would it be possible to see a copy of as bit of your planning to see how you work this as I think it may be more relevant to plan to the stepping stones (although I'm not sure I would be able to being in a reception class-anyone know???)

thanks

jo

Hi jo and welcome!

In reception I would plan with the ELGs and use the ss as differentiation.

Profile statements do not correspond directly in all instances to goals, points 1-3 are SS. Other points often incorporate more than one goal but if you have not planned against goals you will find it difficult to assess and have evidence of attainment against them.

There have been lots of conversations in the forum that you might find useful.

Good luck with the course and dont forget to keep asking questions if you need to!!!

Hi Jo. I'm in the process of sorting out all the planning for my pre-school, so don't have anything useful at the moment (it's the holidays and I'm taking a break! :o )

When I've sorted out my next lot of planning I will show it to you, but I don't know whether it will be helpful!

Clare

I am the reception teacher in a Foundation Stage Unit and we plan using the ELGs and SS. Not all children will meet all the ELGs by the end of reception year (think the current thinking is that 6points of the 9 is average in the FSProfile)

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Hi Jo. I have been looking at different ways to do our planning and I think I have come up with a way that meets the needs of our setting. I'm looking to do these daily, but some activities will run across the whole week, for example, the children developing indepence skills at snack time and the role-play area. Some of the activities will change on a daily basis.

Have a look and see what you think.

Clare

Hi Jo. I have been looking at different ways to do our planning and I think I have come up with a way that meets the needs of our setting. I'm looking to do these daily, but some activities will run across the whole week, for example, the children developing indepence skills at snack time and the role-play area. Some of the activities will change on a daily basis.

Have a look and see what you think.

Clare

Activity_Plan.doc

Thanks for those examples.

So Marion do you pick the activities you have planned on the medium term plan and just plug them into the daily plans? and do you do a different daily plan for each day? I was going to do something similar - use the norfolk style meduim term plans and have all my detail there then have a weekly plan for the 6 areas and pick activities from the meduim term plan onto my short term plan. As theclassroom is set up at the mo we dont have areas set up like that but its a good idea to use a sheet like that to plan for your different areas in the room.

thanks

jo

Yes we use the medium term plans to inform our daily planning and hi light on the medium term plan when we have completed that activity. We usually plan for Monday and Tuesday each week then follow the children's lead for the rest of the week planning from their response/ requests.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)