Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Farms

Ok, so my new topic after Easter is Farms. I have a Y3/4 class with severe or profound and multiple learning difficulties, so I'm in need of plenty of sensory ideas, whilst still trying to avoid Old Macdonald.

We're hoping to plan a visit to our local farm but because of having 5 wheelchair users in my class and the minibus only able to take 2 or 3 at a time we can't all go at once!

Got a few ideas in my head, but nothing's set in stone yet.

Please help me oh generous people!

In some areas they have a farm that visit you. - Do all the classes in your school have the same problem when going out on visits, there must be other coaches you can use.

The few things that come to mind is soil playdough, just add sifted soil into the playdough - you could then introduce straw and small farm animals to make a pig sty or something or maybe they could make ploughed fields using a variety of utensils, fold in small stones (if suitable for the children) twigs etc - sew some sweetcorn - maybe some straw to make chickens nests with small chicks in and plastic eggs. Not too sure if these ideas would suit or not. What about the life of the sweetcorn - looking at a tin of sweetcorn, the whole sweetcorn - nice and feely - tastes good too. What about wool, lots of different types to feel from the wook from a sheep to differing types of wool and material for knitting to a mohair jumper or something. Do wool painting, nice and messy and fun

Can't think of much more - feely bag with different farm animals in to guess what they are.

Nikki

In some areas they have a farm that visit you. - Do all the classes in your school have the same problem when going out on visits, there must be other coaches you can use.

52339[/snapback]

No, not all groups in school have this problem, but some others do. I just have a high number of wheelchair users, some have none. Just the way some yeargroups fall. I know Reception have the same trouble, but worse! They only have 1 mobile child out of a group of 9.

Thanks for some of the ideas though. I've never heard of farms that visit. Anyone know any in the North West?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)