Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play School?

Hi

I am going to revamp my role play area (in a reception class) during the Easter break and need help!

Whatever role play area or activity I have out, left to their own devices, 9 times out of 10 the children turn their play into 'role play schools'.

We were therefore thinking about letting them 'get it out of their systems' and support and extend this play more by making the role play area into a school where they can have the resources to develop their ideas more. But I'm worried I should be broadening their horizons (not to mention their taking on the role of me as teacher and how they will portray me!).

Has anyone else done this? What do you think? Any pointers?

uum, can see what you mean about being the model!

Children always react best though to the situations/role play that they have experience of, dont they? Would certainly be CI and planning for children's interests so why not give it a go, see what their reactions are and be prepared to change it if its notworking as you think it should/would?

Let us know what happens!

There is a Stepping Stone to do with noticing what adults do and mimicking them isn't there :o

I think it's a good plan myself. Last year we found that every environment we set up was turned into dogs and babies for some reason!

We had a vets to get the dogs out in the open as it were and then after that we would say if dogs weren't allowed - say in Restaurants.

It did work as they rarely went back to it!

I'd certainly go with it. Lots of opportunities for covering ELG - and you would be building from the children's interests. Just make sure you allow plenty of time for observations - it will definately show you what you're like. I remember watching a little girl telling her friends a story - and her comments, facial expressions etc were me to a tea :o You'll be able to pick up what you don't realise you do/say ... but the children do.

Good luck,

Harricroft

We change our role play weekly and try to let the areas use come from the children as much as possible so dont really find this an issue in our setting. My class like to play teachers and take the register after lunch they take turns sitting in my chair with a classlist 'reading' the names and recording :o

Last Year we asked our children for ideas for a role play and a school was one of the most requested it also proved to be one of the most successful. They helped set it up which always gives more ownership and their ideas were more innotative than ours! We definatly ticked reading for pleasure and writing for different purposes! The children got so much out of it, made their own registers helped eachother with their writing, taught eachother their numbers and read stories, As it has already been pointed out this is something they can all relate to which ensured all the children wanted to play and they mostly modelled by good points!!!!

Sharon

Last Year we asked our children for ideas for a role play and a school was one of the most requested it also proved to be one of the most successful. They helped set it up which always gives more ownership and their ideas were more innotative than ours! We definatly ticked reading for pleasure and writing for different purposes! The children got so much out of it, made their own registers helped eachother with their writing, taught eachother their numbers and read stories, As it has already been pointed out this is something they can all relate to which ensured all the children wanted to play and they mostly modelled by good points!!!!

Sharon

52318[/snapback]

Thanks for your feedback.

I asked the children yesterday what they would like in it. Some of their ideas are a bit tricky- eg they want a listening centre, carpet (?), but I have tried toe plain we can't out the whole classroom into one little area! having had confirmation from you guys this is an Ok idea for role play area I am going to go for it. So, its back into school next week to try to out something together.......................

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)