Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

I was just wondering how other people apprached handwriting. In our setting those who have very poor fine motor control tend to trace over writing. The others write by themselves. Our children with poor fine motor control are not progressing very quickly and i am wondering if by tracing we are doing the right thing. Should we be asking them to copy below our writing or let them have a go by themselves. I am not sure if we are actually helping our children or hindering them.

Lola

First of all don't panic! It will come eventually. If they are really struggling, focus on large scale control like painting etc. Then move to fine. We trace and over/under write. It's up to your own professional judgement as to what they are ready for - just don't force them into it before they are ready as they will resent it (very astute littlies aren't they!!!)

Hope that helps slightly!

to be honest I would give them lots of exercises to help develop finger strength check they are actually using hands and fingers to write and not whole body. Its surprising how many children exhaust themselves moving the pencil using the whole upper body simply because they arent ready to write lots of large mark making activities and only then would I begin 'writing'

i am part of a pilot project about handwriting at the moment.

the main message was not to worry about getting them to 'write' or 'trace' you need to wrok on the fine and gross motor skills. they suggested doing lots of big work on upright boards etc as this develops vital muscles ie painting a fence or washing a window.

they also suggested using lots of egg shaped resoruces such as chalks and paint brushes as children develop that grasp before the tripod (pencil) grasp.

also doing lots of finger rhymes, play dough, mixing with whisks etc, will all improve their fine motor. using the bikes, climbing frame etc will all help to build gross motor skills.

hope this was some help and not too obvious.

We have used Write Dance and we are just about to start Write Dance in the Nursery for our Reception Class - it's great - it is all about how writing IS about the whole body - the children are encouraged to use both hands and it's done to music - could be standing up and on huge pieces of paper, or chalk boards etc.

we use write dance too, its very good, the children really enjoy it and it seems to be working as there fine/ gross motor skills are much better.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and comments i now feel reasssured. There is a lot of pressure from our year 1 teachers about how children must be able to write sentences etc by the time they get there. I let it get to me and is houldn't!!!The write dance sounds very interesting is there a website with anymore info?

Write dance can be bought from 'Lucky Duck publishing', I can't remember the address probably www.lucky-duck.co.uk or something similar. Try a google search. It really is a very good program and really helps the children's gross motor skills initially but also develops their fine motor skills

i do believe there is a new write dance out for nursery children, anyone used it? we are buying ill let you know how it is.

Just taken a look at the nursery one - I would also love to know if the it is any good - I hate buying things blind with no recommendations. I agree that tracing over and writing under can be done in lots of other more exciting way ways too and the gross motor skills need to precede the fine motor skills. I had to write a letter by hand the other day I had to copy it out twice because I made mistakes in it and didn't have my computer with me -- my hand and arm really, really ached and just goes to show that because I use my computer so much that I don't really use these muscles as much - I was really quite shocked about how much it hurt and then went on to think how young must feel when they are trying to write.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)