Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwriting

Chill

After lengthy discussion we have decided to change the style of writing at our nursery school from the trditional 'ball and stick' to a cursive style ( ending flicks but not lead in flicks). We will be using this style for writing on pictures, wall displays, name cards etc. I am desparately trying to find a free download for this. Sassoon Infant is great but would be very expensive especially for all computers. Any help please on more accessible fonts. Just as an extra thought I would be very interested to hear how other settings approach name writing for nursery age (3/4). - not at all, only when ready, guided, unguided, writing over etc. etc. So many children of this age are writing their name having been taught at home and we do need to provide advice.

We use Sassoon (it came free with RM window box) and I purchased my own copy for my home PC. In the past we have resisted teaching nursery aged children to write but so many enter reception year having been taught at home to write their names using incorrect letter formation (or even worse using CAPITALS) that we are encouraging those nursery children who want to join in handwriting activities to take part.

Try National Primary or Jarman - I got both as free downloads through a google search for free cursive fonts!

The school we are attached to use Cripps (I think) that has lead in and out strokes and they would like us to use it with our pre-schoolers who are ready to learn but I can't find anything for the PC in the right script. The nearest I got was a tryout of a cursive handwriting fornt but not all the letters were the same!

I've attached (I hope) samples of the fonts for you.

National_Primary.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)