Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dear Zoo

Hello all,

Has anyone got any ideas they are willing to share based on the story of Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. I would welcome any ideas for any area of the Foundation stage curriculum - Literacy, Numeracy, K+UW etc...

I plan to do it after half term.

Many Thanks

Sharon

literacy matters does a weeks lesson plan based on Dear Zoo

Other things we have done is match mother and baby toy animals

looked at animal patterns

order by size

wrote letters to the zoo

looked at non fiction books

write descriptions of different animals

:):) Hi Sharon

Have you thought about creating your own book? It could be dear pet; dear farm or your own dear zoo. I made a writing frame that said "They sent me a .........(child fills in name of animal) Then at the bottom "but it was too .......(child thinks of problem - good for adjectives!!)

I'm going to try sending an attachment but it may not work. Contact me if it doe not work.

Have you thought about creating your own book? It could be dear pet; dear farm or your own dear zoo. I made a writing frame that said "They sent me a .........(child fills in name of animal) Then at the bottom "but it was too .......(child thinks of problem - good for adjectives!!)

I'm going to try sending an attachment but it may not work. Contact me if it doe not work.

Tried to send an attachment but it would not let me.

Get in touch and I'll send you my writing frame.

Anne Marie

I love that story its a firm favourite of mine

using the story as a starting point we have a theme of sorting and comparing

we find as many animal toys (from small world zoo creatures to large stuffed toys) and then we do sorting activities with the animals

first looking at whats mentioned in the book too tall, too noisy and then move on to look at other aspects such as number of legs, colour & patterns on fur, through to what the toys are made of, which leads into comparisons and opposites even getting out the getting out the balance wieghing scales and comparing the animals weight

It all depends on the ages of the children in the group how far you take the exploring but one activity can link to so many stepping stones

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)