Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Research Project

Hi guys its Emma again,

Just got a new assignment for my HND, studying the topic early years research on topic of our choice.

I ahve problem though, haven't got a clue what topic to look at, i was considering the idea of play and the role of the adult, could anybody give any ideas of ther subjects??

Thank you

Emma xXx

hi sounds interesting, two tips I found useful when choosing a topic was to spend some time in the library just looking at articles choose the topic that makes you want to read more and choose the topic that you can find plenty of info on I know these might seem obvious tips but when you have to do as much reading as you are about to it needs to be something you can get your teeth into and enjoy reading about.

another thing if your planning eventually to do the 3rd year top up degree maybe consider a topic that you can expand on in more depth for your dissertation

for my research project I looked at the impact of Nursery education funding on nurseries which led me down lots of paths thinking about free play verses adult led and it was facinating and I had lots of discussions on here about it. I then went onto the degree and for the dissertation looked at the transition from reception to year one (thinking about the changes from free play to formal teaching how children cope and so on) I was able to use lots of articles and research material from the research project to my dissertation without repeating or copying my original ideas which saved me some valuable reading time

Happy reading hope you find an interesting topic

You could do what I'm told is called 'the second assumption', (although it was never referred to this when I did my teacher training.) Basically - in case you don't already know - it's about when to intervene in children's play & when to take a back seat. E.g. intervening if child is in a dangerous situation OR in order to extend child's learning. This links to the adult role in 'scaffolding' the child's learning by Piaget or Bruner or some other big shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest honeyw1

Hi I am new to this so hope I do this ok.

I am currently studying a Foundation Degree in Suffolk and we are doing an Introduction to Research. Our topic is to be chosen for us by our tutor and we have to do a critique of the research. Does anyone have any advice or can recommend a good book as I am feeling very nervous about this module.

Any help would be greatly received

thanks

HW

Doing your Early Years research Project by Guy Robert Holmes is a fantastic book, recommended by my tutors too. It is easy to read which isn't often the case with research books.

Honeyw1, Where are you studying? I am at Suffolk College doing a BA hons in Early Learning, I after previously doing the Foundation Degree. I am currently writing my dissertation.

As far as topics go as you will have to spend a great deal of time reading around the subject and then writing possibly 10,000 words on it it has to be something you are interested in.

I would have to agree with Alison as I researched the transition at my school for the foundation degree and am now looking into practitioners views about the transition for a BA this meant I have a bank of research information already and have read around the area extensively.

Sharon

P.S If it all goes wrong and you don't get the response you were hoping for the forum is a great place to look for help....

Guest honeyw1

Hi Sharon

I am studying at West Suffolk College. I started the Foundation Degree in September so coming to the end of my first year phew!

I just find this module particularly boring and because I am so uninterested I know it is going to make it more difficult.

I will try the book you suggested thank you

HW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)