Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Importance Of A Picture

We are having a reading evening at school to help parents to support their child's reading development - i have been given the above title to talk for five minutes on the importance of a picture!

Have the idea to share some sentences with no picture and discuss the lack of meaning without a picture - mind has gone blank elsewhere!

This site is so helpful could someone throw me some more ideas please!!

Thank you!

We went on a course where they had sentences in different languages with and without pictures first we looked at the words and had to guess the meanings then were given the helpful picture clues to show how these are important to young readers. Maybe you could try something along those lines to demonstrate. I know I get lots of parents who say they cover the pictures up to stop the child guessing :o argh!

Hi

I went on a course once where we were all greeted with a chemical formular written on the overhead screen. The course leader was welcoming us, and telling us how much she enjoyed this (pointing to the formular) needless to say we were all baffled... however, some of the formular could be guessed at - but none of us could understand it completely.

To put us out of our misery and frustration, the leader took us step by step through the formular - which turned out to be Gin and Tonic with ice and lemon - had she used a picture - we would have had a better start. Hope this helps (by the way the course was about Special Educational Needs, not reading, but has always stuck in my mind that sometimes what some may easily understand, others cannot get out of the starting blocks)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)