Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toddlers based upstairs

Hi. We are looking into moving our toddlers from a lower floor area to an upstairs room. Could any one give me some advice about fire regulations,  how it works within your setting and how parents have felt about the toddlers being based upstairs?

Good morning Chelledam ... welcome to the Foundation Stage Forum! Lovely to have you here! :D 

That's such an interesting question, I'm sure lots of our members will be able to offer advice based on their own experience. It's not something I've ever had to think about (our settling is all on one level) but my first thoughts would be the following:

I would write a comprehensive risk assessment covering every eventuality (these are first few things that came to mind): 

• How do you evacuate in the event of a fire?
  • How will you move children up and down the stairs safely to go to the garden or out of the setting?
  • How will you hand children over to relatives / carers if they are not able to get up the stairs (e.g mobility impairment)?
  • How will you carry hot food to the room and clear away afterwards (hot items, trays etc)?

I would telephone my insurance company and ask if there are any specific requirements they need you to fulfill in order to keep the validity of your policy?

I would telephone my LA advisor and ask if there are any settings in my area that I could go to visit to see how they manage

I would check the planning use designation (it'll be D1) and see if there are any restrictions placed on the use of the upper floors being used for children (sometimes planners put certain restrictions on how buildings are used)

I hope that helps to begin with, hopefully someone else will be along with more useful information :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)