Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Traditional Tales

I am looking for new ideas for our planning on Jack and the Beanstalk.

I have tried searching the forum for previous threads but I can't find any.

If anyone knows of any previous discussions or has any activities the children have enjoyed please could you let me know

Thanks

Hi daisychain

Did you type in Jack and the beanstalk and get an error message about some of your words being too short? If you type in just the word beanstalk you will get quite a few posts you can sift through.

Linda

Thankyou.

That is what happened!! I tried Jack Beanstalk aswell and that didn't work, I'll give beanstalk a go, I was sure there would be existing posts. Thanks for the tip

Bye

hi daisy chain,

funnily enough we are doing this next week!!!!

Suggestions we have are obviously growing beans and keeping a log of measurements, using a variety beans and counting into different groups, giant's house roleplay area with various rooms involved - kitchen, bedroom etc. and my favourite making newspaper trees. remeber as a child how you used to roll up newspaper, snip to make leaves then pull from the top to make them grow bigger..... you do remember don't you?? or am i really that old :o

hope this helps

kizzy xD

I do remember newspaper trees, but not how to make them. I am sure it is obvious but could you tell me how, it's a great idea! :D

If you have a digital camera it is a very good way to record growth and can be used to sequence the beans story.

Maths you can compare sizes with Jack and the Giant an interactive display of a big boot and a childs boot a big bowl and a small bowl etc with pictires of Jack and the Giant for the children to sort.

also lots of words relating to size gigantic huge tall enourmous / tiny small little short etc

For World Book day we put together a prop box for writing around Jack and the Beanstalk we had a huge shoe with name tag A. Giant golden eggs (thank goodness its nearly Easter) a bag of magic beans and luckily our bookcase is a cow (which now has the name tag Daisy) we created a series of rhyming clues and did a treasure hunt in the outdoor area which led to the Giants treasure chest of gold coins (chocolate) It was a great sitimulus for writing and role play for days. :)

Spray some beans on one side with gold paint, when dry they can be used for maths activities such as number bonds or number stories (addition).

Writing: what would you like to find at the top of a magic beanstalk?

The three singing pigs has a musical activity for Jack and the beanstalk.

Also, you might want to check out the TES early years forum as there is a thread on there about Jack and the beanstalk with a link to a semi-commercial website (I won't post it here!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)